THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Losing Resonance/Placement

Alright, this is going to be a bit tricky for me to explain, so I'm going to go slow and intricately.

1) Just to make sure that I'm on the right page here:
We all talk about placement and we all talk about resonance. Are these two things kind of one in the same? Like, when I finally got the hang of really properly executing full voice exercises without any tension or force, I realized that instead of relying on force for volume, I rely on this "buzz". When you first discover and utilize this buzzing sound it sounds gawky and awful until you get used to it and harness it. So getting back to the point, is "placing" your voice and relying on resonance for volume the same thing?

2)Secondly, just to make sure, it is, in fact possible, to have more than one break point, right? For instance, I feel that i have one at G4 (which is seemless 97% of the time) and another at C5 (which is the break into headvoice...not perfectly seemless... yet)So this concept of two breaks is not unheard of?

3) Lastly, (the point of the post) assuming that the above things that were said are correct. Is it possible for your resonance or placement to get lost on the way up a scale. In other words, it kinda feels like it gets stuck for a few notes and then...boom it breaks in again. On certain days, not exclusively but especially in the morning, I'll ascend up a scale and around D4 (around first break) it gets caught, the resonance/volume fades, and then clicks in again about four half steps later. At this point, I get a little frustrated so I just hold the "unresonant" note for like 20 seconds. And it eventually starts to resonate properly BUT it flutters. It shakes, not a pure tone. I figured this was a good time to mention this problem of mine since there was just a post about shaking notes.

Does this ever happen to anyone else?

I've been told by someone that this may be a result of driving too hard. So when it happens, I try to lay off the air pressure a bit. It helps bring resonance back, but I'm left singing at a mixed voice volume.

Any suggestions on how to combat this?

Re: Losing Resonance/Placement

Well...I'll try to answer one by one:

1) I think that even though resonance and placement are two different things, they go hand-in-hand. Resonance is the reverberation of your voice, which causes that "buzzing" sensation and creates harmonics. The production of clear, distinguishable harmonics is a strong indicator of resonance. Placement, on the other hand, is WHERE you feel this resonance. For example, the only way I can access my really low register (E1-E2) is firstly by maintaining enough resonance, but also PLACING the resonance in my hard palate.

2) I have the same thing. You could classify the different voice registers between the breaks as Chest, Mix, and Head Voice, like Jaime Vendera does. So basically, you're singing in pure chest voice up to about an F4, and then it starts to mix with head voice until about B4, until finally going into pure head voice at C5.

3) Yes, the middle range (F4-B4) is notoriously difficult to master. I still have MAJOR problems with singing in that area. My throat totally constricts, which results in a loss of resonance. But what you SHOULDN'T do is get frustrated and just hold on to that unresonant note! That'll just tire out your voice and possibly damage it as well. You're probably blowing way to much air past the vocal cords, which makes the pitch "wobble" like you describe. The best way to get past this, I presume, is to focus on a "light" tone first, so that you can develop control in that area.

Hope that helped!

Thanks for the reply,

I figured I was blowing too much air...

But on certain days its fine, and other days, I have to be in a total mixed voice volume to resonate.

I'm wondering if this is a product of my vocal chords and surrounding muscles being groggy that day?

Or, maybe there is a discoordination with my diaphragm on that day and I'm using way too much air on all notes and it really shows through on the weaker part of my voice?

Well, it could be anything. Are you really warming up every day, using lip bubbles and drinking alot of water? I often find that when I slack on the warm-ups and the water, my voice suffers from it.

Hey altered.

I agree with Legatoman completely, but there are a few things I would like to add.

1. I basically view the resonance/placement issue like this. Resonance = noun/Placement = location of resonance.

2. You could technically have infinite breaks in your voice. Your breaks will change depending on the amount of pressure you put behind your voice. Do not let this worry you, though. This doesn't mean you have to guage your exact vocal pressure to determine exactly where your break is gonna be! Just when you find the break, stop and smooth out that area that's giving you trouble. Analogously speaking, if you spill a cup of coffee on the carpet, it doesn't necessarily mean you need to clean the carpet in the whole house, just where you spilled the coffee. (I really hope this analogy made sense. I just woke up a little while ago, and coffee was the first thing that came to my mind;)

3. I think Legatoman nailed this one. Even if those higher notes sound a little wobbly, as long as they're not hurting you, just sustain them on a very light, comfortable, and controllable pitch until you feel that it's more comfortable to add volume or grit or whatever you desire. If it DOES hurt to hit those notes, just take a step or two back. Get the "wobbles" out, and then proceed.

I have an idea that might help people with these types of problems. It would kind of be like a supplemental exercise that corresponds to the Siren, but it might prove to be a radical notion. Let me run it by Jaime first, and if he thinks it's a good idea, I'll share it. If it turns out to be a bad idea, I won't. We'll just have to see what the big man says.

Also, I hope you found some useful advice buried within my incessant rambling.