THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Falsetto Slide" question?

This is probably a stupid question but I want to be sure I am doing this exercise correctly.

In the book, and audio examples, JV talks about sustaining the pitch for a LONG TIME before sliding down:

"Sustain the pitch as long as possible, or until the stomach muscles begin to burn... When the muscles begin to burn slide all the way down to the bottom of your range..."

In the audio example for the "Falsetto Slide" it takes JV only about 8 seconds to complete the downscale exercise.

So my stupid question is:
The real exercise should take much longer, right?

Thanks.

Re: "Falsetto Slide" question?

First of all, never discount the validity of your own questions. It doesn't make you dumb or anything. If you're anything like me, you tend to OVERanalyze everything. I've asked some very complicated questions only to hear a simple answer in return.

Secondly, the exercise itself SHOULD be longer than the audio example. I believe the reason that Jaime didn't sustain the note was because the man has AMAZING breath control, and he wouldn't want anyone to feel like they had to match the amount of time he sustained a note before they began the slide itself. The most important aspect of the example was to demonstrate how to correctly slide from falsetto to full voice without breaking. It WILL TAKE TIME to get it right, but you've got all the time in the world to do so.

Just take a deep breath, sustain the note, and when you feel like it's time to slide, go for it. Don't hold the note so long that it will prevent you from completing the slide.

And in case you don't know me, I'm Brandon. I'm the director of this message board. Everyone on this site is amazing, and willing to help you with any vocal question you may have, so don't hesitate to ask anything that may help you progress as a singer. NOT ASKING could actually prove to be MORE detrimental if you continue singing or exercising without the proper techniques. We want you to be the best you can be, and we'll all do whatever is within our power to help you get there. I hope I've helped!

First of all, never discount the validity of your own questions. It doesn't make you dumb or anything. If you're anything like me, you tend to OVERanalyze everything. I've asked some very complicated questions only to hear a simple answer in return.

Thank you Brandon, your feedback really helps!

You are right; I DO tend to overanalyze most things. I guess I can sometimes be a perfectionist. I want to do things the correct way or not at all. Also, English is not my first language (I am Icelandic) so I can sometimes be a bit insecure in how to phrase my questions so everyone understands 

Secondly, the exercise itself SHOULD be longer than the audio example. I believe the reason that Jaime didn't sustain the note was because the man has AMAZING breath control, and he wouldn't want anyone to feel like they had to match the amount of time he sustained a note before they began the slide itself.

Maybe it would be a good idea to also have audio clips on how JV actually does the exercise so the rest of us can know what to aim for? Just an idea

The most important aspect of the example was to demonstrate how to correctly slide from falsetto to full voice without breaking. It WILL TAKE TIME to get it right, but you've got all the time in the world to do so.

If I posted an audio clip would someone here be willing tell me if I am doing the exercise correctly or not?

And in case you don't know me, I'm Brandon. I'm the director of this message board. Everyone on this site is amazing, and willing to help you with any vocal question you may have, so don't hesitate to ask anything that may help you progress as a singer.

Nice to "meet" you Brandon. My name is Siggi and like I said before I am from Iceland (You know the "land of the midnight sun" I am 30 years old, I don't play any instruments but I DO sing in the shower, in my car and the few times when not sober Anyways, I have often been told that I have a really strong voice and I have always wanted to learn how to sing and control my voice. Never had the courage to do anything about it until now. I just finished reading RYV and I hope I can stick to the program and finally learn how to use my voice properly.

Thanks again for your help. I am sure you'll get more questions from me soon

Yes, go ahead and post a clip! I'd be glad to help you, if I can.

By the way, congratulations for summoning the courage to train your voice! Singing is so fun. :)