THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cackling sounds during TT?

Hey guys,
When I am doing the transcending tone exercise, I basically try to increase the volume to the point where in the beginning I would often flip to pulling chest. I figured that the point right before it would flip to the strained chest is my head voice. On the higher notes, when I would use this approach, I find myself cracking and cackling, even when I go really slow. Am I pushing past my limits?

Re: Cackling sounds during TT?

That is where your break is. Your vocal chords aren't zipping properly if you hear your voice crack. Make sure to keep your resonances high in the forehead as you go up into your range and visualize you vocal chords starting to zip when they are supposed to.

Just to make sure, your vocal chords are attached to your Adam Apple and open apart during breathing in a "V" shape (the font being attached at the front and the back where the space is) Therefore, it should zip from the front going to the back of your larynx.

Sorry what do u mean breathing in a "V" shape?

I think that maybe you still don't have the control over your support that these specific notes require... just take it slow.... focus on getting a good on the notes just before that point, then continue to the next note... FOCUS on not locking your stomach, not putting unnecesary tightness in the throat, and on the sound you are producing (by recording, obviously don't be so self conscious as you may screw up even further)

When you inhale the vocal chords are open but they remain attached at the front of your larynx by your Adam Apple. They separate in the back therefore creating an opening for the air flow to go through (The "V", each side of the "V" is a vocal chord!). When you sing they come closer together in a parallel position. When the break occurs, they are close together and they start zipping from the front to the back leaving only a small whole for the air to go through herewith creating a higher pitch.

Cackling happens in the beginning. Here is the important part. Not only are you increasing volume, but you ARE transcending from falsetto to full voice in direct relationship with the volume increase. Increasing volume by itself is NOT the answer. This exercise is extremely tough and takes time to master.

JV

Jaime how did you achieve that masculine, chesty tone on your top notes after you developed full voice?

Why the RYV exercises young grasshopper ;) Actually that IS my full voice. It all has to do with support, placement and resonance.

JV

Guys I've also noticed that I have a bad habit of twanging to get a fuller sound and that causes my larynx to go up. If I try the yawning sensation, I have an incredible hard time transcending without straining. Any tips?

The tongue is of huge importance for me to keep the transition smooth... When you do the yawning sensation, are you letting your tongue fall back in your throat?

oiselle: i had the same situation and tried to focus on the tongue during TT and it seems to work! thanks!

Cool! Yeah, don't let it fall backward; always keep the tip resting on top of you lower teeth (sorry if I sound redundant as I've adviced that for many issues but it just seem to influence so many things!).

Also keep in mind, re: Jamie's chest-y upper register, that he's classified as a Bass. Thus his chords are probably thicker just by nature than say a natural tenor or baritone's would be... thus he's more likely to have a heavier sound no matter where he's singing.

Now on the other hand, a 'dramatic' voice would likely have a heavier sound than even Jamie has... assuming Jamie is not a Dramatic Bass himself!

I'm very dramatic, but I don't think it has anything to do with singing, haha :)

JV