THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jeff Keith(Tesla)

I want to hear what people have to say about my favorite singer. Jeff is not classicly trained, but he is a great singer. He emphasizes feeling and soul over technique and vocal gymnastics. Listen to him on "Thank You", which is a great representation of his style. He is raspy at times, but he can clean it up when needed. I guess he would be considered a whiskey tenor, because he sings pretty high and still has that Rod Stewart rasp. When he sings, you can feel what he is feeling and that is the key to good music.

Re: Jeff Keith(Tesla)

Awesome singer. Love his rasp.

JV

Jaime knows talent when he hears it. Their new covers CD, Real To Reel shows his versatility. They do songs from UFO, Beatles, Traffic and The Temptations. He can mimic the characteristics of each singer he is covering, but still sounds like himself. That is the key to a good cover. I don't like cover tunes that sound like a rip off or ones that you can barely recognize. Although, Manson chose the latter route and Sweet Dreams was a great song. Maybe it is a regional thing that Jeff is my favorite singer. I live near Sac, CA and I have seen the band many times. If anyone on the board is not familiar with their work, I suggest that you check them out. They have more soul than most bands of that era.

great post andy.

Telsa was my first favorite band, and my first live concert too. I think I was about 10 when I got Mechanical Resonance, and about 13 when I saw that first show (on the Psychotic Supper Tour) I had older brothers that listened to a lot of rock and this was one of the bands they introduced me to, but Tesla was one of the first bands that really spoke to me independently of what anyone else said or thought. I've seen them about 5 or 6 times live and they were all great shows!

Actually I plan to see them again (hopefully twice) while they're in Holland this month!

Jeff is awesome. like you said, very soulful. It's funny, I sound nothing like him, but I could definitely say his style of blues phrasing had an influence on me.

I met him every so briefly in Milwaukee after one show, he was a really, really nice guy too. Very appreciative to have such loyal fans after all these years. Frank Hannon (guitar) is also, not only a real BAD ASS player but also a really nice guy.

I'm pumped to see them again!

-Paul

Paul-Thanks for the nice post comment. Tesla is a great and underrated band. I just saw them play a free show in Sacramento, CA, their hometown. It was an awesome feeling to see 9,000 people appreciating good music. The new CD is great. Not sure if it is released in Europe yet. You will love the new show and the new guitar player, Dave Rude. I know this is a singing website, but I want to give Frankie Hannon his props. He is just like Jeff in that his playing is very soulful, but he can shred with anyone out there.

Jaime-It seems that Jeff and the boys have had to cancel some recent shows because of vocal problems and/or sickness. This might be a good time to contact their management and find out if he has/needs a vocal coach. Just trying to help you out because you have helped so many of us over the last couple of years.

One of my RYV readers is friends with the band so I am sure he knows who I am. I try not to come on too strong. If he needs me, he'll call ,haha ;)

JV

oh man! I hope his voice is doing ok for the Europe shows! I'm listening to the samples on http://www.teslarealtoreel.com sounds KILLER! I can't wait to get the album. I also hope I'll be able to get that second cd. THe promo email I read said you're only guaranteed one at the U.S. tour dates.