THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
)*)@(*!! tongue!!

Even after doing some tongue push ups how to
'control' the tongue in the TT exercise? not 'control',
but something to help.. i was seeing in the mirror -
and you know even putting the tongue in the front teeth
the back still jumps.. lol!!

Re: )*)@(*!! tongue!!

The tongue was causing me lots of problems too! I think people underestimate its role into singing... I find that the perfect position for the tongue is after you say the following sounds one after the other:

1)The
2)Gna
3)Maintain that position to feel what it's like.

I'm convinced the tongue should always revert back to this position during enunciation. It allows the base of the tongue to apply a slight push on the larynx to tilt it downward without the back of the tongue sliding down in the throat. Try it! It works for me

Yeh the tongue plays a huge role in singing my high notes with ease, and also the tone and resonation of my voice.
I still have a bit of a bad habit of pulling it back a bit...
Ive been trying to do what james labrie does by slightly poking his tongue out on his high notes to help get it out of the throat, but i find that i lose alot of resonance even with just the tiniest bit out of my mouth. By the way, dont get the wrong idea about 'poking' your tongue out, i dont mean poke it out so you are tensing the tongue slightly, i mean just move it forward slightly onto the bottom lip without tensing it...otherwise thats just bad.
Could give it a try, might work for you.

Hey Lee, I know exactly what you're talking about regarding James Labrie. I did notice he tends to poke his tongue out but I really think he does it too much. Honestly, it looks awkward when he does! Particularly when he sings higher notes and in addition, his voice doesn't sound very good actually when he tries that I find. I think pulling his tongue out so much probably pulls his larynx higher rather than lower.

I was struggling to find the correct position for the tongue. I wondered, how low is too low and how much forward is too much forward? I feel confident I found the perfect compromise to place the tongue with those two syllables: "The" and "Gna" (I saw Ron Anderson have his students warm up to those). Try it and let me know if it works for you. I find that the pressure the base of the tongue creates is enough to open the larynx while it's tilting and therefore tightening the vocal chords enough to vibrate freely. It also keeps the resonances you were referring to.

hey Lee, I think your approach is great for rock, cause actually I am almost sure that his tongue out stuff is related to his use of the pharyngeal voice, I understand some exercises to achieve it include vocalizing with your tongue out... I do get what Oiselle says, but I can't be 100% with her on it, coz I am sure he has been appropiately trained in that manner... but the tip remains the same hahaha move your tongue forward, but don'y add any tension hahahaha

I also sometimes have this problem with my tongue. I just arches up at the back sometimes even after all the tongue exercises. I agree with you though Lee. I tried pushing my tongue out a little bit but it kills my resonance and I think it looks silly. Everyone notices it about James Labrie and it's a really weird trait to have on stage. I adore Labrie though :P

hey.. besides the tongue jumping.. do exists a pitch
wheel covering an octave from C3 to C4?? I have
to use my keyboard just because this low part.. would
be cool..

I forgot to say: the goal is for the back of your tongue to have a "U" shape. Before I used those two syllables "The" and "Gna", I was trying to get the "U" shape but I just couldn't relax my tongue enough. One side would move up sort of shaking, or it would be too flat, etc... Why? Because, I was trying too hard and it was tensing the tongue! It felt like I couldn't MAKE the tongue do the "U" shape. Conclusion: don't TRY to position your tongue into a "U"; instead RELAX the tongue into the correct position using "The" and "Gna".

Notice how many singers have the "U" shape on a long or high note during a camera close up!

Being able to do this was a mini-revelation for me! It helped eliminate the transition through my break and stabilize my vibrato.

You mean the tongue can stay high (not too), but with
the condition to dont block the air passage (soft
pallate)?

i thought she should stay the most flat possible..
also making this thing you get almost a opera sounding
voce.

i dont get it the main goal..

but if you try eveytime to stay the most flat
possible then you'll get that strange opera sounding voice, right? but at the same time is wrong??

i can get a U shape.. the problem is that the tongue
stays too high.

Is your tongue completely relaxed? Cause I don't think it should sound weird or opera like. If you are forcing the tongue into the "U" shape than it's no good because it's tensed... Instead, it feels as if it's comfortably resting slightly above your lower teeth. This will help you achieve a pure tone but that is not synonymous with opera!

Watch American Idol next week. I bet there will be at least one close-up on a wide open mouth showing a "U" shape tongue!

James sticks his tongue out because iof some exercises he used to do to keep hios tongue relaxed. As far as the pitchwheel. we are working on a pitchwheel to cover all octaves. THe first versionn will be for the computer and hopefully soon after, we'll take it to market as a handheld unit.

JV

Ummm Oiselle...how do you prnouce "Gna"...is it like "Nngah"?

This sound is easier in French... I'll think about it and get back to you (I just don't have time this morning!!).

I think it's "Nya".

Yeah; almost... Except use the back of the tongue instead of the middle.

gna or "ng" sound is like when you say the word "hung"

Yes!

and i fully agree with oiselle that the tongue is vastly overlooked when it comes to singing and is extremely important to have the "u" when singing through and beyond you bridge