THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bought Raise Your Voice, Any Tips Upfront?

Hey guys I'm a 15 year old high school kid aspiring to be a singer. I've been trying to be a good singer every since I was inspired by Michael Buble. For the last month, I've been working on SLS, mostly singing success. After a month, I saw little results and someone told me that Jaime Vendera's techniques would "jump start" my gains in vocal power and technique, so yesterday I bugged my dad into buying me the book.
I've taken a look at this message board already and everyone seems pretty cool, just wondering if anyone has any tips for me off the bat?

BTW, I'm a bass and my highest note is really pathetic like a E3 or something lol. If I put in the effort, will these gains be better than singing success?

Re: Bought Raise Your Voice, Any Tips Upfront?

Hey Jake. When you get the book, read it over and over and over and over till you have it memorized.
But seriously, when you read the short bio about Jaime in the beginning of the book and read about the range he HAD, you WILL become inspired and see that there is hope to break above the E3 mark.

And while you are waiting for the book, start drinking water, lots of it, unless you are doing that already. That way you will have one issue out of the way.

Hey-

Don't be put off by vocal classifications. I'm a bass too, but that only means that I have a darker timbre and my break points are in different places. My highest note has increased from E4 to F#5 in almost a year. I'm sure that if you put in enough time and effort, you can see great results as well!

Good luck.

Jake the best advice I can give you is to dedicate yourself to doing the exercises correctly. Make sure you look at the videos on this site once you get the book. Also make sure you read the book a few times. Just know your range is there alot of it, you just need to learn to unlock it, theres nothng special about people will very high ranges, its just they figured out how to unlock those parts by doing exercises.

Also if your a bass, remember don't try and make yourself darker and heavier, let the voice float. My biggest issue is that I kept tryign to make my sound very heavy and dark when really I was just singing incorrectly.

Thanks for the input, guys.
The most important thing I'm worried about is my bridge, or breaks between chest and head voice (if there is such terminology in Raise Your Voice). Has anyone seen any improvement in the connection between chest and head? Being a bass and wanting to sing pop and jazz, nearly every song goes through that bridge, so if anyone can tell me about their previous experiences, it would be cool.
On a bright note, I found out it's getting delivered on Wednesday! Can't wait!

Yes. The exercises in RYV focus specifically on eliminating the breaks in your voice, thus strengthening your entire range.

And by the way, Michael Bublé is indeed awesome. I've been trying to learn "Feeling Good" lately... that G#4 is basically the most difficult note in my range, haha.

Jake,

Email me personally through this site and I'll get ya started a little quicker ;)

Jaime Vendera

Hey Jaime I tried to send you an email but it said your inbox timed out cuz it was full? My email address is sweetexperiment@gmail.com if you wanna get me started early! Can't wait till wednesday!