THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
question about singing low notes

Hi again everyone,

I'd like to ask a question about singing low notes. I've noticed that most of the discussion here is about singing high notes. As I said in one of my previous posts, I'm just interested in singing for enjoyment; I have no intention of becoming a professional.

Anyhow, a few weeks ago, I went out for karaoke with some friends and I sang the tired old song "Danny Boy". I believe the karaoke CD had the song in the key of C, which means that the lowest note in the song is an A2.

On my highest notes, it seems that I must shout to avoid my voice breaking into falsetto. However, even going just down to about A2, my voice became so quiet that I could barely hear myself above the instruments.

I have the same problem even worse with "Out in the West Texas Town of El Paso". The lowest note is A2 and it's a very short note; I feel like my voice is failing me at this note.

What I understand is that the air passageway is much larger on the low notes than on the high notes, but for such short notes, I can't imagine pushing a ton of air.

When I started out, my breakpoint was about at E4 and I've managed to push G4 practicing the transcending tone.

Any suggestions?

Re: question about singing low notes

Don't let the low notes fall in your throat. You still need to mix the sound with chest and a tiny bit of head resonances to help the projection. Also, make sure you are still using your support.

I've also extened my low range by applying the techniques from my book, Raise Your Voice. You don't need a tone of air for any note. Low notes are still about breath support, placement and resonance.

JV

I know on Brett Mannings site, he talks about when going lower think about up, and when going higher think down.

It definitely helped me alot with my lower range.

Record yourself a -lot- is still some of the best advice, IMO.

I've been working on my lower range as well, and while sometimes it's still difficult to get the 'sensation' of when it's still solid, recording myself gives me a very clear picture of exactly when it's happening, and I can generally tell what I need to work on from hearing it.

jlk7jester
nice tip but i didtn undersatnd. can you say again
in a different manner?

by the way go to lisa popeil's website - www.popeil.com
each week she puts a video with tips for singing.

Well are you firmilar with "nay nay" and "mum mum" exercises? You would use the mum sensation as you go higher in range and the nay as you want to go lower. This keeps your larynx from rising too mcuh when going high, but also when going low it keeps it from dropping too much. It keeps your larynx stabilized more therefore giving you a greater range in both directions.

Even as your low in chest and in vocal fry, you should be thinking lighter and trying to aim up into the head.

I disagree with jlk7jester ....it can be confusing to talk about not raising your larynx on high notes and lowering it on low notes...Because it´s physical impossible to reach the notes in your high and low range if you dont raise or lower your larynx...but do apply the nay nay or "twang" as I would call it...twaning helps the vocal cords to become more "firm" and therfore increasing volume...