THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wisdom teeth

Has anyone ever had the following problem.... My 4th wisdom tooth is coming in and when the last 3 came in, I always got a nasty throat infection with their onset. I get clogged sinuses and runny nose. The whole 9 yards. Just curious. I still have my other wisdom's intact.

Re: wisdom teeth

Yeah, it was hell. They had to cut in to my jaw to get my last one out. It was very hard to sing because I couldn't open my mouth wide. I had a throat infection as well. No bueno.

Dam they cut into your jaw. Ugh.
I want to practice, but just don't have the energy. I probably should practice under these circumstances to figure how I would work around my vocals cords! In case of gigs and that sort of thing.

Jaime or Brandon could probably give you some good advice. I would suggest doing lip bubbles and humming until you are healed.

I actually thought I had nodes at the time my wisdom teeth were coming in because they gave me so many sore throats. I couldn't hardly sing either but had to fight through it because I was gigging at the time. It really sucked. I had to have all four removed.

jV

Wow! I had no idea they could be such a problem for your throat... I had all four removed during a 20 min surgery (and than passed out in the subway but to be rescued by a student dentist!!) and the recovery was quite something but then singing was out of question. I feel your pain! Good luck!

I've been told I should have mine out...that was probably 7 - 8 years ago, and they still have given me no trouble, very occasional slight discomfort, just to the point of being able to notice their presence, but nothing worse yet, so I'm very reluctant to hop in a dentist's chair and say "hammer away doc". I'm not real fond of the dentist anyway....

But I suppose I'm prolonging the inevitable. They're not breaching the surface, so I know they're all impacted, so when ever they do start causing problems it will definitely require surgery. :(

Sorry to hear about that! :(

I had to have all four removed. I wouldn't recommend singing at least two weeks after the operation.

Dunno about keeping them in. If your jaw is big enough, they shouldn't cause any problems, except for the pain of the teeth cutting through your gums.

Hope you feel better soon.

I got all four of mine out and then sang at choir practice the next day with no trouble.

Now mind you I was VERY, VERY careful about doing anything vocal for the next few weeks, while I was on pain meds, because I could've screamed my lungs out and probably wouldn't have felt more than a few twitches.

Yeah, I don't know why it is sort of mandatory to have wisdom teeth removed. Everyone I know has had them removed. It's actually taking this last tooth about 3 years to come in. I would look at it once in awhile and wonder when the last of it was going to break through. It's weird how the tooth comes in, a corner here and there. It's so dam slow.

I think my sore throat days are over now because the last corner of this tooth came through the gum this week. So back to practice tomorrow.