THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tonsils (uvela?)

So this is kind of a weird question but something that I noticed watching myself in the mirror. There is a slot or groove in the back of my throat and it looks like depending on where I am in falsetto that my tonsils(Are they what you call the uvela?) slide up and down in the groove. when I start way high, they are way up and move down as I get lower. I am curious where they are supposed to be and if that is one way to tell if your larynx is moving??????

Re: Tonsils (uvela?)

The uvula hangs down in the middle and the tonsils are to the sides. Try to keep it all relaxed. Sounds like you are tensing up and narrowing the throat.

JV

So what should it be doing???? Should the uvela always be down????? does that have anything to do with the larynx?

Man it has been quiet here lately!

My tonsils come close together the higher i sing too ???
How are you supposed to stop doing that though?

Watch yourself in the mirror and concentrate on relaxing.

JV

I did that and got scared hahahahaha

No seriously what are they supposed to do so I can make em do it???????

The uvula is supposed to stay relaxed. If it disappears like when swallowing then you are using to much muscle involvement.

JV