THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Knowing if you have the right placement?

I been told by my singing teacher I keep placing my voice too far in the back at times when I sing on certain vowels, and its making me stumble and loose correct placement.

I also notice I do this, but I feel if I place my voice too front it rises into my nose?

So how do you know when its just right?

Re: Knowing if you have the right placement?

Do the following exercise:

1) Place your voice in the noise; it should sound very nasal especially when you pinch your nose.
2) Make your voice travel up a little until it feels as if it were sitting on top of your nose bone. Your tone should not change even if you pinch your nose. You should feel your voice resonate in the mask (the sinuses on your cheeks and forehead). This is the correct placement. Can you feel the buzz?

3) Make your voice go to the top of your head than to the back and down your throat. These are all incorrect placements but still a good exercise for voice self-consciousness. Don't sing like that for too long!

I hope this works. This is one of my favorite exercises

I actually don't agree with "masking" exercises, "placement" should be on the hard palate for lower notes, and "head voice" notes they should be on the soft palate... they are supposed to go "back" in the head if you will...

The sinuses are natural resonators in the face. In my opinion, you should always feel some buzzing happening there even for your lowest register. The sensation does get stronger in the upper register. If you focus on placing your voice there, you will also feel the palate move up a little, mostly the back or soft palate, in position (at least I do)

Sorry Jordan but Oiselle is right. If you place the voice correctly you will feel vibrations in the nose and cheeks. Resonance at these spots is assurance that you are placing properly. Also hard or soft palate placement does not necessarily dictate if it is chest or head. However I do feel it towards the hard palate and chestier sounds and on the soft palate on softer or higher notes.

JV

Where are the palates? Stupid question indeed but I am confused about that. And quite frankly do not know where they are.....

The palate is the roof of your mouth. The soft palate is the soft part in the back that raises when you yawn and the hard palate is the hard part of the roof from the teeth back to the soft palate.

JV

Jordan, just try my exercise; you'll see! Don't forget to pinch your nose on and off. You can also do your vocalizes on GN (thank you Ron Anderson!).

Cris, The soft palate is the soft back tissue around the uvula. The hard palate is the harder front tissue leading to your gums

Is it true that cutting off the uvula (to help sleep disorders for example) can alter the sound of the voice? My guess is probably not but I heard about that and I always wondered about it even though I don't know anyone to whom this particular procedure was performed...