THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can you introduce yourself...?

Just wanted to say hello to everybody on this forum !
I guess we have about 99 % singers here and that's really great.

Owned by one of the best vocal coaches on this planet, Jaime seems to be a PROUD BUT MODEST guy and these qualities are going so well together... But enough compliments for today !

I took some time to pass through the messages here... and I have to say, I already learned things, so, I thank you all !

Here's in my opinion, the best way to introduce myself...

http://www.myspace.com/magali_luyten
http://www.magali-luyten.com

LADIES AND GUYS, I would appreciate to get a short description from each of you on this forum, just to have a cool contact (where are you from, your band, your musical tastes...) !

I'm sure you gonna introduce yourself better than I just did, hehe

One thing's for sure :
I'm passionated like you, so don't change !

Mag

Re: Can you introduce yourself...?

I thought like... "ok Mag, you should make some efforts...!"

My bands are :

BEAUTIFUL SIN
http:///www.myspace.com/thebeautifulsinmetalband

VIRUS IV
http://www.virus4.net
http://www.myspace.com/virusiv

I THINK METAL RULES GUYS

Welcome to the boeard!

I'm a soprano coloratura from Toronto, Canada. Music is my passion as well. I love listening to rock and some more folksy styles as well. I studied classical music and graduated with a B.A. in vocal performance some 10 years ago. I don't have a band but enjoy writing my own music and accompany myself on the guitar. My music is rather contemporary folk with a little bit of a new age sound and world influence to it. I don't earn a living from music. I do it just for fun That's it!

Hey there!

My name is Ian Griffiths and I'm a 16 year old guitarist/aspiring singer from Cologne, Germany. My main influences are rock and jazz, but I've been exposed to MANY MANY operas and classical pieces because my parents are both classical musicians. My favourite singers are James LaBrie, Maynard James Keenan and Daniel Gildenlöw.

I'm in a jazz duo called "Cold Fusion"...you can check us out here:

www.coldfusionduo.com/index_eng_main.html

Hey Magali,
I guess you have read my myspace page since you added me earlier, so everything you need to know is on there :P
Welcome to the board
Lee Muria
P.S you have an awesome voice! very aggressive...i wish i could have as much force behind my voice m/

thanks for the reply, it's very nice to meet you :)

It's fun to see how many times this topic was read, and how less people are talking about themselves... but yeah, I know, I only posted yesterday...

There are real talents on this forum... I had a listen to your band Ian, and it's very well done... the only thing I was missing is your voice... (are you singing somewhere on the samplers of your website?)

Lee, I think you don't need to envy anyone, 'cause you have a great voice and a great power. To be honnest, I'm curious to hear your evolution in a few years...

Oiselle, I'm no feminist but happy to meet a woman here do you have something we could listen to ?

I won't have always that much time to surf on the net but right now, I'm into it and I just love to discover new voices

Kind Regards,

Mag

Hehe, thanks Magali. Unfortunately, I don't have any recordings of me singing....YET. That's why I wrote "aspiring singer" :-)

ok :)

By the way, if you are from Germany, then we are kinda neighbours, actually I'm from Belgium (country of chocolates, beer, french fried, cheese and of course MANNEKEN PIS) --> proud !

Ah...cool! :-)

I'm afraid I don't know "Manneken pis"...?

hahahaha it is a statue of a small dude peeing in a fountain ...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manneken_Pis ... awesome hahahah well let me introduce myself...

I'm an aspiring singer, whose singing history began just last year due to a chronic tendonitis on my right arm that brought my "guitarist career" to a hiatus.... which made me realize that I would love to sing.... which made realiz I could not sing A THING hahaha ...

i have improved a bit in range and a lot in quality ....

I like almost every style of music ... mostly rock and metal..... but also other stuff .. and well devin townsend is my vocal role model ... hope i can have his range and power some day !!

I love science and movies, apart from music :D

that's that :)

Okay, I'll go next :)

I took guitar lessons as a child, but gave that up, feeling that the guitar was not the best instrument for me to play. I felt that my practice time was wasted, that I was not progressing.

Fast forward to this January, I signed up for a one credit beginning voice class at the University of Hawaii. To be quite honest, I have no aspiration to be a professional singer. I would just like to be able to sing for the enjoyment of my friends and myself.

The class meets twice a week for 50 minutes, and I have to share my instructor with about 15 classmates. I've been disappointed with how little has been taught to me in class. For example, our instructor so far has never suggested to the class the use of recording devices or pitch pipes.

I read about Jamie Vendera's accomplishments on Wikipedia and found that Raise Your Voice has all positive reviews on Amazon.com. It's really cool that Jamie has this forum set up so that we can discuss our progress and experience using the techniques he recommends.

I'm from brazil.
It's the old story of a bass that cant go higher..

I could go about F3 but was like shouting.. then i
started searching for techniques.. (this is a bad
habit sometimes still come back.. you know that stuff
"give it more support" but the wrong way)

i have been studying all types from vocal release
(ugh!) to complete vocal technique. So i had found
this forum don't remember how.. ((ah yesa friend named
laffa told me about in a forum. where's he?? ))

So i came here and i hadn't enough money to buy the
book.(reais and dollars are very different, 1 real is
equal to 0,40 dollars. resuming dolar is 2x the value
of one real). So i entered the contest last year and
won the book and somethings. That was a triumph!!!

Now i found the home for my voice. =)

I'm just curious about the voice. Dont know if i'll
pursue something. I like to study everything about,
curiosities, techniques.. maybe one day i will be
a voice teacher.

Nice to meet all.

My name is John, I'm 30 years old and I live in North Carolina.

I started singing when I was a kid and always loved singing. I sang in my first band when I was around 17 I wasn't that good really, although I got better. I didn't start vocal lessons until I was about 24, 25 and it's a wonder I didn't destroy my voice before that.

But it helped in many ways. I also used Vocal Power by Jim Gilette along the way. Then met Jaime on myspace, bought RYV and UBG.

I still sing in a band. We do classic rock and stuff like Seether.

Nice to meet all of you.

Hello there,

I`m Red, 32 years old and I´m livin` 30km south of Hamburg, Germany.
My musical life started as a guitar player (electric lead guitar and lapsteel).
I played some acoustic bass and some drums.
I never had to sing until I was around 30 cause we always had good singers in the band. I just remember me singin` in the childhood, nonsense own lyrics.

I started seriously singing in January 05 with taking around 30 voice lessons.
I bought a lot books/cd`s after that and learned much from them (Set your voice free,Singing Success,Raise your voice..).

My favourite music is different to the most here.. I`m into 1940`s and 1950`s music. Rockabilly, Hillbilly, Western Swing, Swing..

my website is: www.redmartin.de

Unfortunately no songs in the moment as I have been contacted by "the musical
authors' society of GEMA", so I had to cancel all my songs from website until everything`s clarified (I´m not willing to pay for song samples of 45 seconds, but that`s what they want when you publish cover songs..)