THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
power pushing the crapper

this might sound crazy anyway. I been singing in karaoke bars. For practice. Love it. But man i can't sing i feel clumsy.

I pulled up round and round by ratt. People in bar the come up to me and say great voice. That makes me very happy. Andway i amagin in about to go number 2 and every time i sing i think number to and it works.

The sound hits my soft pattle but after that my ass hurts and my soft pallet is a little sour.

But i ate fries yesterday and now i can hardly talk dam reflux.

That power psh save my voice but man so much effort to sing. i mean down push high notes harder down push and less air on top. i somtimes think im breathing in air. while singing and get comfused. GO tto go steam voice sour from relux.

Re: power pushing the crapper

Man i was drunk when i wrote this anyway. Look The power push saved my voice so i put all focus on that and it becomes easy to sing but. After i sing a song my but cheeks hurt.

Im afraid if i think about placment ill think up. ONly think i can't get is how to narrow a vowel im singing When i go up.

For reflux try Bragg's Applce Cider Vinegar or Reflux Eze. When you sing, just naturally get used to doing the downarads supports and just look for the buzzing sensations in the roof of the mouth, nose, cheeks, teeth, etc...Don't make ity such a mindgame. Have fun ;)

JV

ok thx man

Hey Jaime so you are saying that there should always be at least a light downward push and harder on the highh notes or where you want more power???? I was only doing it when I had to go higher then comfortable........

In RYV II I will be emphasizing the importance of this downwards support at ALL times. So you are correct in your questions.

JV

Very cool - thanks for the info dude

Jaime,

A few years ago I talked to Ron Keel about Elizabeth Sabine - since Ron was one of her first Metal students I wanted to get to pick his brain about her techniques. He told me that she had him pressing down so much, that he literally did it for the entire tour - once he went onstage, he kept it pressed down as if he were wearing a girdle. He gave me a lot of information actually - which was cool. I wasn't really expecting him to take the time to go into such heavy detail, and I think he was kind of surprised that I knew he studied under her (Long Time Ron Keel fan here - it always amazed me that a man that big could get that high in his range (thinking of the scream on "The Right To Rock") because he has a fairly deep voice.)
I asked him if he had ever had any problems from using this technique, and he said quite the contrary - it preserved his voice.
He said he does still use the technique, but not like he did back then and he is a bit more breathy than Sabine liked - but that gives him the sound he wants, and he smokes a few light cigarettes a day - not something he suggested, but he said something along the lines of,"You know - I've been smoking for years, and in the real world some of us do smoke."

I can relate to that, especially if you are playing in bars and clubs. When I was in my early 20's and living in the bars - I was smoking like a fiend. Of course, on the other hand - quitting smoking was one of the best things I ever did. I was one of those people who constantly battled sinus problems and I have NO middle range if I'm smoking - I mean, it literally disappears.

I quit smoking and within 2 weeks I was in Rob Halford's vocal range again.

Right now I'm concentrating on tone. I've got all the range I need - and of course, I'll keep trying to expand it as much as possible just because I can LOL - but now I'm trying to work on having the same type of tone as I move up in range, because I find myself getting very shrill and almost acerbic sounding in my tone - it's very biting - and I want it to be really "silky" or smooth sounding.

Tim

I will be releasing a limited edition of Elizabeth's books, autograped by her very soon. I think there are onbly about 8 in print left.

JV

I still want one... please!