THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Curious if anyone knows about boys singing

Basically I need to get an article for my one class that talks about how usually its unmasculine for boys to sing so more avoid it. It can be anything related to that and can be any kind of article. Thanks :)

Re: Curious if anyone knows about boys singing

Hi there,

The source of that topic doesn't result from the fact of singing but from different voice colours and personnalities which, sometimes, can be confusing for the logical and thinking part of our brain...

You could talk about rock and heavy metal singers in your articles, cause, in my opinion, that genre shows the biggest contrasts of voices, talking about males, but also females.

If guys like David Draiman, Russell Allen or Mike Patton (just to name a few) are unmasculine while singing... then I allow you to call me "Robert"

Bon Scott from ACDC was proud to SING what follows :

"I've got big balls, I've got big balls
They're such big balls, dirty big balls
He's got big balls, and she's got big balls
But we've got the biggest balls of them all"
So, any comments...?

When Jaime delivers us a beautiful falsetto voice, that could sound much too high for how we think a man can normally sounds like... does he lose masculinity...? maybe you could ask him

Another fantastic singer, Freddie Mercury... talking about his masculinity, I guess everybody knows that "too much love has killed him"... let's say, he just had some preferences... but once again, that had nothing to do with singing...

Very often I hear people say : "hey, who's that guy singing?" well, that's me... but... I feel like a woman, think like a woman, because I AM a woman ! And believe me, when I sing, I sometimes like to wear a pair of balls, cause I love those deep and hard sounds, hehe but never, I lost any feminity

The list would be too long and this forum to small to talk about all possible examples... but to resume :

We are living in a world of differences, different tastes, opinions, personalities,...

Singing brings people together, it's such a strong feeling stand in the middle of a singing crowd...

Good luck with your article, I'm sure you gonna find tons of interesting things to write down !

Mag

http://www.magali-luyten.com
http://www.myspace.com/magali_luyten

Funny how all of the boys think singing isn't masculine- but then watch in envy how the male singers get all of the girls.

I've never heard of that as a contemporary belief. I think there are lots of charismatic male singers and there is not doubt about their masculinity and sex appeal!!

Anyhow, This belief might have originated with the fact that woman were once forbidden to perform. In the 16th century, castrati were singing female parts. They would often gain such a celebrity status, fame and wealth that it was common for families to castrate their newborn child in hopes that he would later on develop a great voice and thus without prior knowledge of any vocal talent per se. As you can imagine, this practice was somewhat cruel, misleading and probably resulted in quite a few depressed souls upon reaching adulthood... See the history of castratism for more interesting info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrato#History_of_castratism