THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why does my voice drift to the back?

Basically when I talk I notice my voice seems to sit in the throat instead of going up into my mouth. I also notice my voice gets quite worn after talking like this for length of time like to the point where it hurts to keep talking. However when I sing my voice feels completely floaty in my head.

So in other words how do I talk how I sing? Do I need to increase the pitch?

Re: Why does my voice drift to the back?

I personally use the same visualizations that I use in singing. I imagine that I'm placing the words either right behind, or right in front of, my lips to try to get the buzzing sensation, and I take nice deep breaths... I generally inhale a little more slowly than I would if I were about to sing.

ALSO a little trick I use to refocus my voice is I hum 'Mmmhm,' if I'm agreeing with someone as they speak, instead of going 'yeah, uh-huh' like most people tend to. Or if I'm thinking, I'll sometimes 'Hmmm,' trying to make it nice and buzzy ;).

Now mind you I'm not going 'Mmmmmmmhmmmmmmmmmm' for three or four seconds :p. I just mean that I do it very quickly, but I really do find that it helps refocus my voice. Also since I laugh a lot, I try to make sure they're good resonant laughs.

Reread my speaking section and also purchase any books you can find by Dr. Morton Cooper.

JV
PS- It's all about placing the sound in the palate which is up out of the throat and supporting that tone.

Hey Jaime where is your speaking section, I couldn't find it in ryv.

Then READ HARDER!!!! >.<

In fact, just go reread the whole damn book, and you'll find it. '

Couldn't find it??? What a way to hurt my feelings :(

JV