THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Journey on a Lip Roll

I've picked 3 Journey songs to start working with,

1. Don't Stop Believing
2. Separate Ways
3. Any Way You Want It

After warming up with 500 consecutive bullfrogs and 10 of the 8/4/16 breath exercise, I proceeded to lip roll the above songs. With expanded ribs, micro-breaths and power-pushing any high notes.

I got through OK although song #3 was a little high on the tempo. After lip rolling I tried light humming, it felt like a resonant falsetto rather than a full tone.

Then when I proceeded to sing Don't Stop Believing, all I could manage was a falsetto with an obvious resonance attached.

It was very thin but not falsetto, it had a small amount of buzzyness to the tone.

My question is, how long will it take until this thickens up? If it ever will.

And, should I lip roll until I've achieved pitch perfection and then move on to the humming and the light singing?

When I lip roll I literally sing the song inside my mouth, whilst keeping the tongue relaxed and larynx in a neutral position.

Any help/tips on this?

Thanks.

Re: Journey on a Lip Roll

The lip rolling is just for warming up. Learning to sing at a pure but tiny tone teaches muscle memory. It could take days, weeks or months. It is dependent upon the individual. As you lock the song into ace at a tiny volume, like a 1 on a scale of 1-10, then you can bring it up to maybe a 2 or 3, until you mastred that, and on and on. I know singers, pro singers, who sing their full voice songs anywhere from a volume 0f 1-10 and a tone anywhere from a falsetto to mixed to full. They way you are trianing now is very close to falsett, but I promise tat if you stick to it, it will happen;)I hope you are not skipping Vocal Stress Release???
JV

I'm just taking a guess here, Jaime please correct me if I'm wrong. I have to say that 500 bullfrogs seems like an awful lot if you're still working on the initial building of your range. What I mean is, if you're doing them RIGHT before singing you may be bringing your singing muscles to the point of fatigue almost before you even start singing. I would say reduce the amount of bullfrogs and/or put them at another time of day, separate from your singing exercises. You may find that by doing all those bullfrogs your range has already increased more than you know. Do you ever try singing after a lighter warm up? Are the results different?

Paul, thank you for catching that. I didn't pay attention. Yes you should NOT be doing bullfrogs as part of your warmup. They are a separate workout. They will fatigue your voice doing 500. Doing maybe 50 bullfrogs will help get the blood flowing to the cords, but 500 before singing is a little much. Keep them separate.

JV

Many thanks for the tips guys, I'm really grateful for the advice you have been giving me.