THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
trancending tone question

Hi everyone
A small question about the trancending tone exercise: My highest chest note before my break is A4 but if I don't push it I start to break around F4. So when I do the exercise, going from falsetto to full voice, is it ok to go Falsetto -> Chest before the break and then Falsetto -> Head after the break ?
If so, on which note should I go from chest to head, the easyest (like F4) or the highest (A4)
Thanks and special thank to Jamie for RYV

Re: trancending tone question

I SO cannot do this exercise...
Not sure why, but my throat gets all tight and then I'm like clearing my throat for an hour afterwards. Obviously, I'm doing it wrong.

If that is how you want to do it. This exercise doesn't go falsetto chaest. It goes falsetto-full voice. My idea of head voice is your real voice. Most coaches are just calling there blend or a light falsetto head voice. Quality not quantity. Only go as high as you can and keep it smooth, the upper notes will start falling into place when you focus on quantity. KEEP YOUR JOURNALY DAILY! Then you'll see the progress.

JV

this chest / full voice thing totally puzzles me. I thought it was the same thing.
From what I understood from the RYV videos, I thought you were refering to chest voice + head voice as the full voice and opposed to falsetto, but apparently I got it wrong. What is full voice then ? And also what is mixed voice ? Also you say 'head voice is your real voice' But when I start on middle C I can't be in head voice ??
Help !!!

You need to research this message board. We've discussed this a lot. Full voice is your REAl voice; your speaking voice sound. Falsetto is your false voice sound, like Prince, the Bee Gees, Tiny Tim, The Darkness, Jeff buckley. Checst voice is just your real voice below your break. Head voice is your full voice above your break,although some coaches wold disagree with me because some coaches call a mixture of false and full the head voice. Think of a scale from one - ten. Falsetto is 1,2,3. Full Voice would be 8,9,10 . So the mixed voice, middel voice or mixture would be 4,5,6,7, although Roger Love refers to middle voice as the voice right above the break, but still, this middle voice is still a blend of false and full.

The goal of Raise Your Voice is to teach you how to sing any note in your range at any volume on any degree of the scale I just mentioned. Don'tlet it bog you down. Just practice and sing;)

JV

Ok I realise I didn't got your first answer. Now it's very clear. Thank you. I'm very excited about all this. Just a few days of testing the exercises and I'm already discovering new things in my voice ! Thanks again for your time