THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
strengthening singing muscles

thanks to xavier i recently came across the ncvs website and found this article:

http://www.ncvs.org/ncvs/info/singers/five_ing.pdf

it mentions the five things that a naturally gifted singer has and that all singers should try and emulate. my question is, how do i go about achieving them - mainly with reference to numbers 2 and 4 which are:

2. Strong Cricothyroid and thyroarytenoid muscles (and conditioning their correct use so that their is no unnecessary tension between them)
4. Symmetry between the left and right vocal folds

I'm sure Jaime's exercises probably do these things already, but just wondered which ones they were so I can concentrate on them.

Re: strengthening singing muscles

Johnny,
I just wanted to sat that all the great singers I've met don't know squat about the name of the cartilgeges in the throat. Point is; It doesn't make a big difference. I studied the anatomy and yes I presetn a bit of it in RYV, but just enough to get you through. I know how to drive a car but i have no idea how anautomatic transmission actually works. Any vocal exercise you do develops the voice and surrounding muscles just as long as you are utilizing a good solid technique, including proper breat support, placement and resonance. So whether you use my product or Brett Manning, Melissa Cross, Thomas Appell, Baxter, Don Lawrence, etc... As long as your voice feels good, then you are developing what all good singers should develop. Don't let the technical information burn you out man, or you'll end up a nutcase worrying about if the folds are touching just right, instead of doing what you love...Singing;)

JV

Re: strengthening singing muscles

And.... Don't let all of my mispelled words confuse you either, haha.

JV