THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My attempt at overtone singing...lol

Hey guys
Ive been really curious about overtone singing for a while now, and im just starting to get it 'a little bit'...lol
I can do the low overtone singing, but it just stops and starts randomly, plus i cant change pitch properly without it stopping...
and ive been working on the high whistle overtone singing over the last 2 days too, which i can get a tiny bit...it fades in and out when it wants too....but ill make the whistle louder with practice

Heres the link:

www.winterheart.dark-omens.com/overtoneleemp3.mp3

P.S Try not to laugh at the silly sounds im making :P
One day ill make it listenable

Re: My attempt at overtone singing...lol

haha, nice attempt!

by coincidence, I've been working on the same kind of thing since I heard the band "yat-kha". Do you know them? Go to http://www.plaene-records.de/yat.htm to find more information (in german, but what the hell). Scroll down to the bottom and download the "Come Along" sound sample where it says "128-Bit Qualität"...

I think he's singing on a G#1 or something...it sounds totally awesome! I can sing that note, but it's not as clear and bassy as this guy...I'll try to post a clip of myself later...

about the overtone thing...I find if I concentrate on placing the resonance in my hard palate, I can clearly hear the ring in my head, and I can change the harmonic by moving my tongue back and forth...unfortunately, the harmonics are much louder in my head than anywhere else, so it's difficult to record...but oh well. someday it'll work

Woah thats low!...lol
Sounds awesome!
Yeh i find thats the trick to it....'tongue placement'
I find i can make the whistle louder by pulling my tongue right back and making it as close to my hard palate as possible without touching...
I look forward to hearing you clip :)
Lee

Ok, I sat down today and recorded two clips:

Low singing: (only goes to A#1, but oh well)
http://members.aol.com/Ninteeny/lowsinging.mp3

Overtone singing:
http://members.aol.com/Ninteeny/overtonesinging.mp3

In the last clip, I'm changing the position of my tongue quite alot. I hope that makes it easier for you to hear the whistling.

Wow thats really low!
I cant go anywhere near that low it sucks.

I can hear the overtone on the second clip, not bad

Legato,

If you want to record that sound, even though it's kinda quiet, try aiming your microphone at your nose and squash the vocal with tube compression. You could even compress it as you record it, using a guitar FX pedal, because that way, you hear what you're getting on the fly and don't have to wait until post to know how it sounds.

Just to add something,

You can also change the characteristics of the overtone by closing your nose while you do it. (Not sure if you know how to pinch off your nose with the muscles in there, but it helps shape and re-direct sound placement and color.