THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How heavy can the head voice be?

Basically I was curious does it depend on the singer's voice? Because I seen David Phelps hit some extremely heavy High C I've never before seen anyone do also the rest of his head voice is extremely strong. I realize rock singers also have very loud and powerful head voices, but I've never heard them do it operatically.

I want to be able to do it operatic, and have a more rounded sound not so much a shouted sound. Is this possible? If so how do I go about it? Thanks.

heres a reference at the end http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWYZAnVSGKY

Re: How heavy can the head voice be?

while I can't say I care for that style of music (too schmaltzy for me) I will admit that I'm impressed with David Phelps. What a voice. Thanks for sharing the clip.

Also, I recommend you look into the Mexican star Luis Miguel. His voice is similarly awe inspiring.

yo bro.. I think It depends of :

1. The strength of the adduction at head voice (review zipper technique)

2. How the resonance is managed (use resonance expansion and see how much resonance can u connect from other than the head)

remember there's a lot of how your voice is into how you'll sort this out... best of luck

Why don'tyou seek out a classical teacher who teaches the true art of Bel Canto? Look into church choirs. You can devdelop your voice and learn a little bit about Christ at the same time ;)Ah just listend to the clip. Yeah he's awesome. That sound comes from placing the resonance forward towards the hard palate and keeping the ribs spread for a bigger resonance chamber. He's really pushing those notes up into the skull. Guarantee he gets dizzy every once in a while ;)

JV

I'm not really trying to be in choir or learn about christ haha. I just find him amazing, no matter what hes singing.

How would I go about finding this resonance position? Thanks for the responses by the way.

Oh I forgot to ask, is his larynx lower then your's Jamie when you hit the high notes is that why it ends up sounding more operatic as opposed to metal?

Here's another one I think even more control and better he hits a E flat really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCc6AaXRELs

Very corny music, but 2nd half he rips it up.

Didn't pay much attention to his larynx but that can be a factor at times.

JV

Search YouTube for his "No More Night" clip. It might be the greatest vocal performance I've ever heard.

Woooow this guy is amazing!
Im watching all the his videos on you tube....outstanding!

David Phelps is a very great siner but the religous undertones....Fxxk that!! Religion didn´t do any good then and it wont do any good now!

Singing is singing and the rest.. yeah whatever :P

Cheers / Chris

Matter of opinion Chris. We are not here to discuss releigion, but I can say that my beliefs are what is helping me become one of the top vocal coaches in the world and presenting me with the opportunity to perform on television shows around the world. To each his own. I can undertsand what you mean about you don't like the religious overtone. Gospel music does have it's inflections, just as metal, country, pop, opera and other styles have. It is just a matter of taste. One of my favorite singers was Micheal Sweet from Stryper and he did have a very heavily influenced gospel accent, although he sang for a rock band;)

JV

Jaime,

I used to love Stryper - I think honestly there are more talented singers and musicians in the Christian metal and pop music field right now. I typically do not like the "gospel" type music but that is my taste.... I will listen to anything but it seems like there is a shortage of artistic music coming out right now in the secular rock scene although there definately are some that are awesome and stand out above the rest..... Thats my weigh in

Chris...you just made the most out of line comment yet to date on the board...and you have the nerve to say ANYTHING about cobb? God gave you whatever voice you have and can take it away whenever he chooses...think about it...

There is great music everywhere, you just got to search for it. Best place to find great music, whether secular or any style is to search internet rdaio stations. You'll be surprised in the hiddent talent.

JV

the underground stuff is always good he have and have had a ton of bands coming out of or stuck in minneapolis when I lived there as well as in the metro phoenix area. Like I said it doesn't much matter religous or not - a good band or singer is just what it is. All I was saying is that a lot of the mainstream bands are mediocare at best and most sound the same. (grant it better then me hahahaha)`

HEY I JUST WANT TO MAKE IT PERFECTLY CLEAR THAT I AM NOT THE CHRIS THAT IS POSTING UNDER TIRED OF COBB!!!!!! I RESPECT ALL MUSIC AND SINGERS NO MATTER THE STYLE OH WAIT EXEPT POLKA MUSIC!!!!

Don't worry we are cleaning up the board asap.

JV