THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Keeping light mix?

I basically don't feel I have a problem with full voice hitting notes atleast up to a certain note. But I have a really hard time keeping a mix voice , it gets really breathy. Also I tried singing Careless Whisper by George Michael and it really actually is tiring my voice more then the full voice song's I've song. I also notice when I go up around D-G in a mix it gets real breathy unless I increase the volume. I don't know if I have some sort of vocal damage or if thats just normal. I've had vocal damage in the past and went to an ENT. I've been having problems with my voice the last week or so its been pretty weak and tired and I've also had soar throats. Even doing light scales like lip trills are giving me problems and the vocal chords feel loose and unable to zip up properly.

Any suggestions?

Re: Keeping light mix?

Have to do a lesson to know for sure. I can tell you that falsetto is actually as rough on the voice as incorrect full voice. Try doing the lip bubbles and Careless Whisper at as soft and pure a tone as possible, even lower and softer than mix. Once you master it at that level, you can add more energy and up the mix. Careless Whisper is actually a tougher song than what you thought huh ;)

JV

if its lighter then the mix wouldn't it sound falsetto? I notice alot of my problem is not knowing whether im in fasletto or not. Like at times I feel like I'm in falsetto but it really resonates and doesn't sound breathy. And times I feel like I'm in a heavier mix but it can be breathy and hooty. Especially on certain vowels.

Yes it will be. That is the point. Build up from there. Master your voice from the smallest sound to the largest-from the least resonance to the most.

JV