THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Extremely large tonsils?

I have extremely large tonsils and had been told since I was little that I should have had them out. I get tonsilitis about 4 to 6 times a year which is a major annoyance. I was wondering could these very large tonsils actually be stopping sound from coming out, or taking away from a clearer tone? I definitely feel often like stuff rests in that area of my tonsils and sound gets caught in there or something.A lot of the time my tonsils will be touching just because they are so big and it can actually become annoying to eat certain foods.

The ent said its impossible to tell the resonant differences in my tone if I had them out, but he said there would definitely be one since they are so large. But my old singing teacher said it wouldn't make a difference.

So what do you think Jamie?

Re: Extremely large tonsils?

I think it would affect you when you have tonsillitis. both Tony Harnell and I had oursa taken out at a young age and they grew back in both of us. It's strange but it happens. Tonsils are there to ollect garbage like the lymph nodes. If you want a better route, I would cleanse your entire body internally, cnage youtr diet, balance your pH levels and seek immune boosting assistance, rather than have them removed.

JV

I can't answer your question, but I just wanted to let you know that I have the same problem. Well maybe it's not a problem. Although I sing okay, I've been complemented many times about how I have a very nice tone.

My tonsils are general pretty big, but when I get sick, they swell up a lot. If I position my throat a certain way, they touch. I too always wondered if I'll sound different or better if these tonsils weren't in the way of my voice. What are your thoughts board?

I had my tonsils and adenoids removed in my early 20s after my singing teacher recommended I had it done. I rarely had tonsil infections but she too thought it would improve the sound of my voice cause they were so huge. I was studying voice than at university and I was doing quite well even though I didn't really know what I was doing.
After the surgery, I completely lost my sensations in terms of voice placement. I started singing in my throat which I never had a problem with and started having problem with a tense tongue. It was very upsetting to me. I never had technique issues before and than I did so it was very frustrating... I became disheartened and stopped singing for many years. If it were to do again, I don't think I would...

I was able to get my technique under control again after a long break. I guess the sound of my voice is a little different; may be more opened and less nasal but it's been so long in between that it's hard for me to tell really...

Mine were taken out when I was pretty young as well, but they never grew back in. (The reason why mine were removed was because I pretty much had CONSTANT strep throat for about 2 or 3 months prior to my surgery.) My voice never changed in terms of tone quality or anything, but it did free up a couple of extra notes at the top end of my range that I wasn't able to hit before I had the surgery.

I'd recommend it just so you don't have to keep worrying about whether or not you'll get it again.

Talk to your doctor & see what he says.

Good luck!

Are you sure you lost your placement just because your tonsils were removed? I can't imagine starting from scratch all over again after singing since I was a little kid.

I only don't know what to do, I goto find out first if my insurance will pay for it first. Like I said the ENT said because they are so big, once they are removed it will be a bit of a different sound however he doesn't know whether it will sound better or worse. However I can't imagine having more room in my throat sounding worse.

I just get alot of problems with them all the time, sometimes it even hard to eat and they bother me in the morning.

Yes, I'm positive I lost my placement because of it. It completely changed my sensations and I honestly really didn't know what I was doing technically even if sounded great before the it. That is why I had difficulty fixing the problem or getting my voice back into place. It's no coincidence that happened to me just after the surgery... It might be different for you though. Just be aware of that before you go ahead so you are conscious not to let the change in your physionomy foul you when you are ready to start singing again. Also, you MUST tell you doctor about your singing so they use a smaller tube in your throat through your airways and are careful not to damage your vocal chord during its placement there and during the surgery.