THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
tony kakko, devin townsend and roger waters...

Hey there...

Well I was hearing to DTB, SYL, pink floyd and Sonata arctica and then I had the curiosity to watch some interviews of each.... and surprise suprise! the three of them had very deep speaking voices ( REALLY deep). I will really thank if anyone who knows about their techincal approaches can Explain how they do it :S ...... thattt´ssss that :D

(BTW if you are reading this brandon, I wish you the best of luck on your quitting odyssey :D)

Re: tony kakko, devin townsend and roger waters...

I AM reading this, and thank you. As far as your question, I honestly don't know. It does seem like a lot of singers who can hit the highs WITH force typically have those deep gravelly voices. Chris Cornell is no exception. I do hope Jaime or someone will shed light on this soon, though. Again, thanx for the support!

The depth of the spaking voice has nothing to do with your range or what type of vocal inflectios you use. I use to be beaffled by this because Jim Gillette sound like James Earl Jones on the phone. It's a;l in how you use the cords and pharynx.

JV

yeah jaime in fact you're right, I've heard Jim (and you BTW) talk, and it really seems to have no connection.

But.. I was really not very clear in my question... thing is that I mentioned those 3 examples coz I wanted to know if someone knows (or has some guesses XD) on how each of them manage to do it :P.... cause the three of them sound as if they were doing it in a somewhat different way...... :D I would thank any info :D

Like I said, it has to do with the approach to singing. Each person is physically different, so they will physically have different nuances to their sound. As far as how they do the throaty stuff, I cannot comment at this time but anyone else on this board is more than welcome to express thier opinions;)

JV

A great voice coach once said, "The lower your natural range, the wider from top to bottom your potential range can be. A lot of times men with deeper voices have longer cords. The longer a person's vocal cords the more range they have access to, that is if they exercise and build their voice up. It's like a 7'5" man versus a 5'8' man. Let's say both men become weightlifters. The 7'5" man will be stronger simply because his genes allow for him to have more muscle mass than the 5'8" man. The 5'8" man could work as hard as he wanted, but he'll never progress past a certain point due to his genetic makeup.

Same with voice. Some people's cords are longer and others shorter. The length determines your max range. Jim Gillette may have worked hard, but he also had good genes on his side as well, otherwise he could never have developed a 6+ octave voice, simple as that. Jim was blessed with long vocal cords, allowing him to hit really low notes that a Soprano couldn't hit, as well as having the ability to train his voice to reach really high notes as well. This is why many people with huge ranges say their early voice instructors told them that they were a "bass". Vocal classifications often have little to do with what your range is. All they refer to is the point at which your folds have to adduct to go from chest voice to middle voice.

Excellent reply :) This is what happened to me in college; My coach told me that I was a bass and would never be able to hit high notes, although I could hit notes higher than every tenor in the choir. It bugged me so much that I sought out to find a way to sing high like my favorite singers. Thank to her, I had developed a passion to find the answers, thus Raise Your Voice was born. So, I am glad I can hit some really low notes, and high ones as well :)

JV