THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Too muich chest!

Now that I am singing in a higher range, I realize that my voice is extremely fragile. I can, in practice, go all the way up to a C5 and beyond that, but when it comes to singing a song that high, even using the notes a few times, my voice tires. My band has a nearly 7 minute song that has me singing up around G#4-A#4 for at least 3/4 of the song. The other songs teeter around a step lower and one has the occasional A4 and C5. I'd like to start playing shows, and while I can get away with it now, I am not sure if I can when our set gets longer. Thirty five minutes go by and while I experience no pain, I cannot consistently perform how I want to so there must be a huge flaw in my technique.

So my question is, how can I bring more head voice function into my voice? I think I'm on the right path of dropping my falsetto as low as I can and then crescendoing (really difficult at around E3) as it helped with band practice today, but I'd like some advice.

I drink lots of water everyday, get lots of sleep, eat healthy, don't smoke, don't shout, don't do too much talking and I warm up doing sirens and lip bubbles and stretches, the whole VSR and stuff. I practice breathing every day and can quite easily sustain a hiss for just over a minute. I've been singing for a year in February but with almost 3 years of screaming my head off behind that. So I am pretty sure it's technique.

Re: Too muich chest!

Hey, my old band from about 7 years ago had a 17 minute song and everything I sang was abovr a B4, haha. It can be done. Practice the E scream exercise from RYV. It sounds like the same sound I make when I shatter glasses. Start very very light and soft ans allow the sound to swell while maintaining that same sound. Kind of like transcending Tone but not switching to falsetto. Start doing these BEFORE you do the TT exercises. Also, start these exercises up higher, around an A4 and work up as high as you can go. Afterwards, practice the TT exercises very very slow. You'll notice that they are a little easier to do after doing the E scream exercise. Now, by going slow, you can control that mix of falsetto/full voice. You don't always have to go totally full voice, you can use a light or a heavy mix, whatever works for you. Yes this is the same as SLS, but I show you hot to take that mixed voice even closer to full. And as far as head voice, you got to think "less baggage" vocally, as you go to those high notes. You don't need that same big chest tone all the way up. Use your body like a tuning fork and let it all vibrate, including chest, BUT, really feel it in your head. And keep that placement in the soft palate-physically feel the sensation of your voice there :)

JV

Re: Too muich chest!

I think I figured it out. After reading that, it got me thinking...When I practice or sing, I am pretty much always creating a very cutting sound like I get when I do a really nasal EE. So my plan is to focus my ass off on TT and mesa di voce and that EE thing. Build more dynamics. I think I've just to to train myself to lighten the heck up. I'm seeing improvements even after three days with this mindset of singing quieter.

But ONE question Jaime; after you discovered a vocal method that worked for you, how many years was it until you could sing casually in the A4-D5 region? I'm not even a year with RYV and I've already added nearly an octave to my range, and it's almost all useable and listenable. I know you practiced A LOT mroe than I do now, but I am wondering what the next year will have to offer.