THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joe Lynn Turner

I have just recently been turned on to Joe Lynn Turner. I always knew he was good but never really knew how good until I started singing and studying vocals. I think he is phenomenal and should be mentioned along with some of the greats in hard rock, Dio, Tate, Halford, Dickinson, etc. I don't want to start another list, but he is severely underrated. He has power, clarity, pitch, tone and soul. Very rare for a tenor to have so much strength. Have a listen and let me know what you think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ29pVhsdMs

Re: Joe Lynn Turner

Joe Lynn Turner is great. I wish I had a chance to see him live. I think he did two Cds with yngwie--
One back in the 90's and one a in 2000. I could be wrong on the seond one.

Joe lynn Turner is legendary. He was in Rainbow with Ritchie Blackmore and did one record with Deep Purple as well as one studio and one live album with Yngwie. His collaborations with Glenn Hughes are really good too. I have his solo CD Slam, and it is really good too.

I just recently listened to his 1985's "rescue you".
WOW! He's so amazing. Exactly the kind of tone I'm looking for. His A4 sound sooooo coool and resonnant.
I'm a bass stuck at G4 but every time I listen to him sing it makes me want to persever.
Have you guys noticed that he wasn't so raspy and husky in the 70' and 80'. Where as in 1995's "nothings changed" he sounds grittier and husky.
I love his grit a lot but I'm wondering what happened to his voice. Did he get operated?
Or is it something he developed with time?
And an other thing i've noticed is that he did a lot of whistles in 1985 as opposed to nowadays.

I've read pro secrets of heavy rock singing and
he said:
"i'm an extremely loud singer". "I don't really have a falsetto".
Jaime is it true that some people don't have falsetto?
The only guy I know who don't seem to have one is my cousin because he smokes too much.

Just sent him an email to hopefully book an interview with him for this site. I had been in talks with his assistant for a while about possibly having him do a guest spot on a song for me, but the format of the CD changed so i'm putting that off. Any certain questions anyone would be interested in getting answers to from him?

This way an old thread that got brought up again. He is incredible on I Surrender. I think that was my original post.

Austin-Ask him how he adjusts to singing old songs in the present. Does he try to adjust them to accomodate a changing voice or does he work twice as hard to sing like a 25 year old man.

He doesn't sing in falsetto. Full voice, baby! It may sound falsetto cause it is way high, but it is not.

Oh boy! An interview with THE JLT!!!!
How lucky you are.
Well maybe you can ask him:
- How long did it took him to master his head voice?
I mean on every song I heard of him I'm always impressed with the way his A4 and B4 sound so effortless and full no matter if he is singing a ballad(clean voice) or a metal song(raspy voice).
- When will he release a Live DVD?
I wish to see "endlessly" played live with that whistle note at the end.
Or a retrospective DVD like Deep purple's New live and rare with different lives and music videos.
- Does he still use Shure sm 57 microphones (like on his youtube videos) and why?
I know this question looks stupid but he may have a perticular reason for using them.
- The usuals: How long does he warm up? His routine? His break area in the 70' compared to now?
What's his concept about producing his grit, rasp tone? Does he feel his chords zipping on high notes? Did he ever had difficulty keeping a low larynx on high notes? How did he became so loud? Vocal injuries?
- Finally,
Will there be a Hughes and Turner project 3?

I love Joe Lynn Turner!! very soulful and powerful voice
Take a look a this video...woow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YntC2JsSmzQ

A good live show of him is on the dvd: rainbow "live between the eyes"

bye!!

Austin, tell Joe that I am friends with Tony Harnell and we are writing a book together. He's good friends with Tony and that might get him to bite;) Oh yeah and everyone has a falsetto, although some people may barely be able to squeek one out so they never use it. That's probably what Joe meant.

JV

Ok, not to put him down.. He always was one of my favorite singers. On this live version of "Street of Dreams" his voice gives out. And he has real problems with his voice. Still awesome on how he gets through it and keeps up a good face.

So what should you do if this happens and is it unavoidable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OdlncPj6gM

^ everybody has good days and bad. halford gets them, bach gets them. we are only human after all