THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Adding some Practicality to Transcending Tone

Ok, well if your like me perhaps you get easily stuck into this situation, and so I'm looking for ways to help translate the exercises into actual singing..

example..I can transcend now up to C5, on a good day but can always nail it up to B4. Here's the funny part. Do you ever find yourself saying ok WTF? I can nail the note consistently while vocalizing but then find it much more difficult while actually singing, because you no longer have to just hit 1 vowel sound but phrase upon phrase up in that register find it hard to maintained "transcended" for that long....? Well I know I do..so got to thinking ok, I need to take the transcending tone to the next level.

So today while doing the exercise, after I transcend while holding the vowel note, I turn it into a phrase, anything really it's more like random babblying of rhymes, all the while trying to stay transcended, and as relaxed as possible. If I stop for a breath that's ok I just start a new phrase on the same note, forces me to use a stronger mental picture..after a couple time like that then move on to the next note, rinse wash and repeat

Just wondering perhaps what everyone or Jaime thinks if this is a cool extension of the exercise or anything else that can be done to help ad some practicality to the transcending tone..

Thanks,
Troy

Re: Adding some Practicality to Transcending Tone

It's funny you should ask. I am developing "Intensive RYV Workouts" There will be 4 different mp3s out very soon, actually 5, including another new one I'm working on. But, they will cover each main exercise seperately and have 11 exercises each. Take TT for instance. You might to a scale like 1-3-5-8, in falsetto then transcend on the top and walk back down in full voice. Trust me, you'll LOVE them!!!

JV