THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Name the top 5 best singers you know about

As it was related to me, your timbre or tonality determines the voice classification in regards to either the Italian school or German fach system. The fach system gets very complex wherein you get into categories such as heldentenors who are like tenors who peel paint off walls. LOL! No, to me helden tenors are lyric baritones. But as was said, voice classification can do a number on one's psyche. Since I have always been labeled a light or lyri tenor, i always believed that I could never sing anythign dark or heavy or raspy, ya know. Now I do cuz I transcended that belief system. The really good teachers like Jaime and let's says a Seth Riggs or Mark Baxter, just speak of voice category in temrs of tonallity/timbre and nothing to do with range. That's how it should be or, not even mentioned at all. Now, the quesiton is, is there a point in here somewhere? I hope so! ;)

Yours In Music,
Denis J. Lanza
Tenor Metal Vocalist
http://www.myspace.com/denisjlanza

I guess to do with Vocal Weight, Darkness/Lightness and how one sounds throughout places in their range. I definitely think Freddie is a tenor. I haven't heard anyone call him a baritone before.

I think Halford is Baritone for sure.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NbMWpAlXtj0&search=diamonds%20and%20rust

Do you think he sounds Tenor there. I think I have that heaviness to my tone.

I'm certainly no fach expert, but to me, Freddie sounds like a baritone who's trying to sound like a tenor. Later on in his career there's really a drastic change. Listen to early Queen stuff from the first 2 albums and he sounds kind of feminine, listen to later stuff and he sounds incredibly deep and manly, so it's hard to really tell what he is naturally. He never sounded to me like what i'd think of as a tenor. Maybe he's a very light baritone, who knows. He was incredibly versatile, so in one song he might've sounded like a tenor, in another, a baritone.

He got aids later and his nodes worsened.

Aloha,
I`m comin` up with total different singers..
My style is more 50`s Rockabilly, 1940`s/1950`s Rhythm`n`Blues, Western Swing...
1.Little Richard
2.Johnny Horton
3.Elvis Presley
4.Nat King Cole
5.Warren Smith
But the list is not the ranking..and there are a lot more..

Freddie's nodes did worsen, but I think that's further proof that he's not an actual tenor. His nodes were horrible, making me think that most of the stuff he sang was forced and not sung naturally, so it would be difficult to say that when you hear Freddie sing notes that sound like a tenor that these were his natural voice.

No point really arguing about it though. All I know is that Freddie was real good. And I'm quite sure he wasn't too concerned with his fach either.

Yeah, vocal fach means nothing to rock n' roll music. You can sing what you want! Do what you want! Whether Freddie was a tenor or a baritone, he had a killer voice. Were we all opera singers, this would matter, whether or not we were all basses, baritones, sopranos, tenors, or subclassifications. But the idea of singing nowadays is that you can get as high or low as you want if you're dedicated, and you can even indeed sound like whatever you want.

Here is my five in no particular order: Rob Halford, Freddie Mercury, Bruce Dickinson, Robert Plant and Michael Sweet. All of these guys are very versatile and powerful.

1 - Bon jovi (i dont know his name btw)
2 - Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith from tears for fears
3 - Alex Band (from the calling)
4 - Whigfield (what's her name?)
5 - Dani Filth (from the cradle of filth)

Ah i know a lot. just putting some i like. you see..
there's a lot of contrast in the list but...

I know this makes six, but this guy is sick. Van Morrison is a kickass, soul singer, belter.

lol,

what a funny argument in the middle of this thread. I'm with James on this one, pointless to argue who is a Tenor or Baritone, and I'm sure Jaime would ring in on the same point as well, that's the whole point of raise your voice. Voice classification is old school. Besides Jaime was told he was a Bass, I guess he can't sing above c4 it's just not allowed (sarcastic comment)..

At any rate here's my top 5.

Steve Perry & Augeri- Nuff said, you know their high notes..enough to make you want to slap them upside the head, they get me so frustrated..lol

Rob Halford- I'm a big Halford fan, he hits some stuff that makes me want to kick him in the nads, he gets me so mad sometimes when I practice..lol

Geoff Tate- If there's one guy that's mastered the whole is he singing in full voice or mixed? This is the guy. One of my vocal heros.

Gary Cherone- I just like his tone, great rocker

so many to log into the 5th slot, but for sake of space I'll grab

Sebastian Bach- Again a great rocker voice

matt corey matty corey matt corey mattcorey matttttt corey the greatest singer of all time besides joe retta

1) Ronnie James Dio - DIO
2) Eric Adams - ManOwaR
3) Ozzy Osbourne
4) ???
5) ???

Dan thanks for the accolades, its not easy being as great as I am. Unfortanately my album "Voice of Steel"
won't be out till next year so you bitches have to wait you can check out Joe Retta at www.queennation.com

Favorite Singers: I tried to pick different singers from everyone else. I really like all of these guys voices.

Jorn Lande
Leif Sunden
Ville Valo (HIM)
Gregg Analla (Tribe of Gypsies)
Goran Edman (Ex Malmsteen)

1. Jim Gillette (6 octaves, c'mon)
2. Brent Smith
3. Mariah Carey (Insane whistle voice)
4. Brandon Boyd
5. Chris Cornell

Re: Re: Name the top 5 best singers you know about

1) Mariah Carey
2) Regine Velasquez
3) Christina Aguilera
4) Lee Ryan
5) Adam Lopez

1. Jim Gillette
2. Tony Harnell
3.Milenko Matijevic
4.Steve Perry/Augeri
5. Jeff Buckley/Prince
6.Marq Torien/Ray West
7.Singer from Train
8. LaBrie
9. Sahaj Ticotin
10. Myles Kennedy

1. Glenn Hughes - has the power, range, tone, and incredible riffs and runs.

2. Stevie Wonder - perfect tone and extremely flexible voice.

3. James LaBrie - from singing breathy, to belting in a strong clean voice, to screaming, his voice can do it all. I've never really heard anyone who sounds like him, and very few singers have as much versatility as he has.

4. Geoff Tate - incredible power, phrasing, tone, and a huge range.

5. Patti LaBelle - i'm not a big fan of a lot of her songs, but there is no better female singer. She has more power than any other female singer I have ever heard, but still can be flexible and sing soft and breathy or do complex riffs. She also is in her 60s and sounds better than she ever has.

Theres a lot more like Halford, Dickinson, Seal, Timo Kotipelto, Joe Elliot, Aretha Franklin, Joe Lynn Turner, Mark Slaughter, Kip Winger, Joacim Cans, Midnight, Gillette, and Paul Stanley, but those 5 in my opinion are the best at what they do.

Metal - Eric Adams of Manowar

Rock - Matijevic of Steelheart

Pop - Celine

R & B - Mariah/Whitney

Country - the guy from Lonestar I guess

-Steve Perry
-Jimi Jamison
-Kip Winger
-Stevie Wonder
-Richard Marx

1. Ronnie James Dio (DIO) - The original, this guy has been around since the late 1950's!!! An unmistakable voice that can't be ignored, truly powerful. He can still hit it after all these years. The guy must be almost 70! What a vocal god!
2. Eric Adams (MANOWAR) - Great range and a unique vocal sound. Conveys emotion flawlessly, and writes powerful vocal patterns. He began singing for MANOWAR in the late 70's and he's never let up once.
3. Michael Sweet (STRYPER) - I can't believe more people haven't mentioned this dude, he has the most commanding voice ever. Perfect technique and an amazing upper register. And even now his voice still sounds great!
4. Ian Astbury (THE CULT) - another guy I'm surprised people haven't brought up more. This guy proves beyond a doubt that you don't need crazy 6 octave range to be a devastating singer. Listen to the Sonic Temple album and tell me you don't get goosebumps when the chorus of "Fire Woman" or "Sweet Soul Sister" kicks in.
5. Jim Gillette (NITRO) - I had to put this guy because the topic is "Best metal singers". This is the guy I'd say is "technically" the best, that is he has the best technique, best range, most diversity of sound, and greatest breath control of any singer I know of. But any true musician or music lover knows that the measure of a singer is more than just their potential for highlow notes and vocal effects. Jim's vocal patterns, lyrics, and ability to convey emotion leave a lot to be desired. Still, a truly remarkable singer.

Best?Well,these folks I think are best(in my world)

In no order(except the first one)

1.Dolores O'Riordan(The Cranberries)--She's my fricken idol.
2.Sinead O'Connor
3.Pat Benetar
4.Scott Stapp
5.Marie Fredriksson(Roxette)

I had a bad slip and neglected to put David Phelps on my list. So scratch the country category and put Phelps down as the best gospel singer I've heard.

1.Steve Perry

2.Sting

3.The guy from Survivor

4.The guy from Europe

5.Jamie Vendera!

I don't count ;)

JV

1. Maynard James Keenan (Tool, A Perfect Circle) - Possibly my favourite singer. Beautiful tonality and a unique ability to work with lyrics. He has a great range and uses it tastefully.

2. David Phelps - Unbelievable control and range! He can sing well above C5 while maintaining a very chesty tone. I'd recommend everyone to check out his videos on YouTube.

3. James LaBrie (Dream Theater) - This is the guy who has inspired me the most. After recovering from a nasty vocal rupture caused by food poisoning, the man is still going strong and he's almost 50 (I think). I love his tonality and power in the upper range, as well as some of his vocal inflections.

4. Brandon Boyd (Incubus) - Very nice tonality, sort of similar to Keenan's. Incubus is the first band of all of these singer's bands that I got into, so naturally, I was inspired by this guy quite a bit.

5. Daniel Heiman (Lost Horizon) - AMAZING range and power. I've heard him sing powerful A5's WITH GRIT. If there's anyone else who has the potential to shatter a glass with his voice, it's him.

1. bruce dickinson....maiden
2. sebastian bach....skid row
3. geoff tate...queensryche
4. david coverdale...whitesnake
5. chris cornell...audioslave
6. paul shortino...rough cutt
7. ray gillan.....badlands
8. john cowan....newgrass revival
9. freddy mercury...queen
10.jeff keith...tesla.........and "cobbie"

These are my own personal favorites:

1. Josh Groban
2. Hayley Westenra
3. David Phelps
4. Richard Marx
5. Harry Chapin
(6.) Corrinne May (A BRILLIANT songwriter, IMO. Check her out at www.corrinnemay.com.)

Meagan

1.Steve Perry
2.Sting
3.Robert Plant
4.Tony Harnell
5.Paul Rodgers
6.Rob Halford
7.Miljenko Matijevic
8.Jim Gillette
9.Axl Rose
10. Nick Cave