THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Full voice? mixed voice? head voice?

Hi,

I'm confused....what is this full voice and pop high notes aren't full voice deal? Full voice to me, is singing NOT in falseto. From chest to head and everywhere in between are all full voice right?, as long as the cords are zipping.

Is Head voice the same as falsetto? Head voice is a higher pitch of ones range in which most of the resonance is in your head right and the cord are almost zip completely right? You can't use these terms interchagibly right?

So...at low notes cords are pulled w/ some tension, and notes get higher as the cords zip closer together going towards your adams apple.

If this is correct than, chest, to mix, (chest and head voice, vocal cords zipped half way?), head (almost zip up all the way), to whistle (almost completely completely zip) are all full voice. What do you guys think?

Re: Full voice? mixed voice? head voice?

Dan, don't feel bad,l there are a hundred definitions floatinf around out there. Mixed voice is a tonality choice and the right choice for singing pop songs. You are correct in thinking that it is not falsetto. It's just a mixture between falsetto and full voice, like if you were to be doing a Transcending Tone exercise and were half way or more to full voice. I've hears a lot of teachers refer to falsetto as head voice, but I think in terms of resonance. On lows notes the resonance would be in chest, or chest voice, right at and above your break, the resonance in floating in your throat or the middle voice (although Roger Love refers to a middle voice as the same thing as mixed voice) and your hign notes are in your head, you know, the ones that make you dizzy at times, this is your heas resonance or heard voice. Don't let it bother you. If you wanna sing a pop song, you might be better to use bits of mixed and falsetto. If you want to sing Journey, then you would be between a mixed and full tone. If opera or Iron Maiden, the full voice. If Judas Priest, some full some mixed. If country, you might use bits of all three. it's a style thing. Just sing brother sing ;)

JV

hey jaime.. i feel dizzy at low notes too.. i feel
ressonance in my head at low notes like G2. Its okay?
q9jn

Although rare, it does happen. Your body is one giant tuning fork. So in essence, you are actually resonating everywhere, but certain spots are more dominant, depending upon the pitch.

JV

yeah ha-ha!! i know this sounds strange but i feel
ressonance in my tummy/lower chest like you said. the
head ressonance may be because the hum. is very cool!!