THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is the best way to find the mixed voice?

How and what should I do to find the middle/mixed voice the fastest way possible? I have The singing success program and am about to begin training with it (have only trained for like 10 days...) and Brett Manning keeps repeating that "you don't earn high notes, you find them". Now what does this mean? I really need the mixed voice since I only can sing COMFORTABLY up to middle C. Without warming up. After warming up i can get to E above middle C, again COMFORTABLY. I can push but i wont cause i know it's damaging... Help me, I WANT THE MIXED VOICE! My desire is to sing AT LEAST up to male high C

Re: What is the best way to find the mixed voice?

I'm going to tell you like I tell hundreds of singers, both amateur and professional. IT TAKES PRACTICE!!!! ;) You aren't going to get a magic potion for mixed voice- If you want it that bad, then start Brett's exercises right now!

JV

Yeah like jaime said, practice!

My tip is listen to some pop singers like george
michaels and justin timberlake.. they use a lot
of that voice. ( not in all ther songs, btw)
IF you start listening to singers with a 'knowing'
way you'll start to recognize voice patterns and
when they use effects and somethings. is a cool way
to understand the voice.

Jaime i agree with you man practice and more practice.
But he has to have a idea of how it feels to know if you are doing it right. Falsetto is disconnect vioce it will not go smooth in your chest vioce.

Timberlake uses falsetto i don't really think he uses mix alot.
Jackson uses a great mix. Anyway try this when you do a scale. try not to sing say it.

the vowel say it easy and bratty. If you are straining say is easyer. What i mean by bratty is playful like you are a kid. try it on somthing like we we we. I look at it thissay there are no notes at all. that helps me alot.

Record your self. Cause what is weird is that it feels kind of like falsetto to you but not to the othere's that hear it. it should go smooth back to chest. no breaks and that what bret says you should find it the mix? Dont know about you. that would confuse me.

What is very funny is that i uses mix so much that i forgot how my falsetto sounds. HOpe this helped

and paul i understand singing with your favorite singers is great. But i know myself i will always be thinking to much crap to do that, I need imagine this or that or bratty or cry, So i feel im using my vioce
the right way.

I did not know that it felt like falsetto, then maybe i already had the mixed voice, but if i did/do it's very weak and sounds like shit... I thought it was headvoice, but it feels like im putting to much (at least alot) of air through as the sound comes out. And i also get very tired using this voice. Sometimes i can't even control it... I have recorded myself many times before, also using this voice that im not sure what it is. It was not as heavy as pure chest voice, not as light as pure head voice, and not so breathy like falsetto. But it was most like the light head voice, but not pure head voice. Could this be my mixed voice? If so, how can I make it sound better? I sing with high larynx using this voice, could this have something to do with the quality of the sound? Also, i almost never use this voice because it sounds so dorky and it is tiering, and sometimes hurt a little bit... Maybe i pushed to much i don't know... I can connect it with chest voice from bottom to top and vice versa. I can also do it with head voice. But i can't sing with it really... Any nice advice?!

Yeah the high larynx is a major problem. Try the exercises in the back of Raise Your Voice, like the Bullfrog and Tongue Pushups. They will strengthen the muscles needed to maintain a lower larynx. Sounds more likie a reinforced falsetto to me...Pushing a littloe and trying to control the airflow. But, you must understand something-Mixed voice and headvoice are often used for the same terminology. Basically it's a mixture between full voice and falsetto. Although I use exercises to work through these transitions of tonality, I still preach full voice, not mixed voice ;)

JV

Jaime full voice takes time for them to zip strong i know i try but i know the stonger the mix gets the easyer it will be in full vioce. Jaime is right it is a reinforced fallsetto. That is what it sounds like. It should not hurt vioce anyway.

Somtimes i feel pressure around my larnx like musules i never used before. try to say the notes easy and bratty less air even if it sounds weak. Less air is control.

I would talk to you on the phone and love to explain mixed voice. But im in south america now with my dad. have not seem him in two years.

Ill be back in N.y in 3 weeks. OH and Jaime shit i got a bad flu here im getting over and my nose is so stuffed up. It is giving me a major headache. hope it goes away see ya.

i know how u feel man. i live in south america..
is really cold now!!