THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Extra crispy or was that fried..?

I really enjoyed the latest vids you popped up jaime,as it ironed out some things I figured I was doing,that I know were absolutely cacking out my throat....

When I"m frying my voice especially up on the higher stuff,I had noticed that most of the sounds coming from the front half of the adams apple(basically pounding the jesus out of my throat,half hour in and its like"Im done....Medic please"....).
weird thing I find to is that once one area gets tention allot of other things start to follow suite...
like to much air coming out to try an compensate.....

you can hear it on this version of the studio take I did of one our tracks...(its not mixed but you'll get the idea....)
http://download.yousendit.com/55C4B9143FA38430
(had a chest infection I had to cope with it,while doing it to....generally i was hammered black an blue when doing this...)

WHat I had also noticed was that when Im singing like this,because of the tention build up(thats been going on for about a half hour)my vibrato has basically left the building....*Ray Gilligan has left the building*lol**.

course the guy behind the board says"Do it again man".....

Thing is Im familiar with were the sound is supposed to be,top of the soft pallette area,but on certain things I still find even with practice,that I still sometimes shift to the lower area of the adams apple...

my question would be ,were to really focus the technique correction(I'm guessing that one area to correct would breath control...as not to muscle it out as much,feels like im pushing ,causing me to over shoot a bit...).......
kinda curious to see what the suggestion would be:Alex

Re: Extra crispy or was that fried..?

Hey Alex,
I'd be glad to offer a suggestion but please rewrite or reword your question for me because I'm a little confused by what you are asking.

JV

Sorry not enough sleep to much brain on that question...
When using a raspy tone,im building up to much tention in the jaw area causing my voice to burn out...
when utillizing a technique like that,the correct placement should be up in the soft pallete area yes?
and not the fron half of the throat like im usually doing it...
what should I use to correct getting into that spot all the time(kinda think this question may just be generally based in the placement of are of thing sin general,as i may be abit below the pencil so to speak)

see if that makes for seance,basically my face is building up allot of tention in the jaw area when using a raspy tone etc....

That makes sense to me. Yes it should be in te soft palate. Check out the Members videos. I do an exercise where I sound like a monky. That places the voice in the soft palate. I am also working on some new exercise with grit that will shoot the placement up to that point, but they won't be released for at least 2 more months. Just start practicing always focusing in that spot, or let it slip a little towards the back of the soft palate leaning towards the throat. Some singers are more comfortable with that approach when singing raspy.

JV