THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Orange Juice

I have a question about orange juice.. Some places say citrus fruits are bad for your voice but my teacher says I should drink it for the vitamin c.. What do you think? (pure orange juice.. not sugared up stuff)

Re: Orange Juice

is good for the voice. for me, dont cause even phlegm.
if you have doubt, mix with some water. Dont eat pineapple before trainning. That can harm your voice. its too acid.

Actually, OJ is just as acidic as Pineapple juice. It truly depends on the individual. Same with drinking milk. How do you personally feel vocally after frinking OJ? The affects can happen immediately or might take an hour or so. If you feel that it taxes your vocal cords, then stay away from it when singing. You do however need lots of vitamin C. This is one vitamin that cannot be made or stored by the body and plays a major role in immune defense. I suggest taking time released Vitamin C or chewable C.

JV

Re: Re: Orange Juice

i know this discussion was from a long time ago....but....has everyone tried apple juice before singing??? i heard apple juice is very similar to human's siliva in some ways...

Well you see.. now it'll have that placebo affect. If I drink it and even if isn't really doing anything, I'll mentally feel like it is.. Oh well.

How about soy milk? It has pretty much all the vitamins we need but does it have any negative affects on the voice?

It'll only have the placebo affect if you let it. Know why I rarely get sick??? Because I don't have time, and I tell myself that. I was yanking out some poison Ivy the other day...had it all over my arms. I told myself I wasn't allergic, and I didn't break out. Know what else? I told myself I could shatter a wineglass with my voice...and I've shattered 110!!!! So, quit thinking that way! OJ will only affect you if it has in the past. Soy milk is fine.

JV

I drink a half gallon of either orange juice or 2% milk per day (which one I drink depends on my mood for the day). It doesn't affect my voice at all. Although I always have phlegm in my throat due to allergies, neither the milk nor the orange juice seem to aggravate it. When I sing, my voice is still crystal clear (if I want it to be).

"I know I don't look like much right now, but I'm drinking milk! And in a few years, milk is going to give me what I need to have strong bones, beautiful skin, and a healthy body. And in a few years..."

It does coat the throat, but I would think that you would want to feel any pain you would experience if you were hurting yourself.

I've found that warm salt water works wonders for the voice. You would think it would dry out the throat, and while the salt does that, the water puts the moisture back in, so basically it's a phlegm-sucking cocktail that will clear all that crap out of your throat and give you a clear tone.

That said, I noticed that limeade really lubricates my throat... Cranberrry juice always works wonders.

Why is that, Jaime?

i know this discussion was from a long time ago....but....has everyone tried apple juice before singing??? i heard apple juice is very similar to human's siliva in some ways...

Why drink juices when you can eat a real fruit? I personally never drink juices because most of them contain citric acid and THAT makes my skin break out with hive. Most fruits except for blueberries are not acidifying. They do have a Ph level but after being digested they leave an alkaline residue in the body.

parce que je n'aime pas manger la pomme...honnetement, je prefere l'eau et de la vapeur...pardon, mon francais est terrible...haha! il est ma 4eme langue! le francais de Canada est tres different?? ou un petit peu

you guys are so cute

If you're gonna drink soy milk, get unsweetened.

Non, ca va uwedinho! Ton francais est correcte dans cette phrase en tout les cas!

To each its own but the fact is: fruits are healthier than juices

I like drinking a good muscle drink before I sing.

Apple juice will give you lots of energy. Go organic. Dunno if it's similar to saliva. If you wanna keep the cords moist, start mist inhaling.

JV