THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Realistic Range

Jamie,

I've been singing for around 10 years now, mostly in choirs and now in a rock band. In choir i sang tenor 2, so my chest voice is relatively high, but like everyone, i wish i had a higher natural voice. I have a four octave range, but 2 of them are in falsetto, and unless i do screams, my falsetto isn't near as strong as my chest voice (duh). I do vocal exercises for about and hour each day and am interested in both brett manning's program and your own (in all actuallity, i'm going to bu them both) but I'm at a crossroads in what i should really do with my voice. I don't immitate other singers voices, because that would just be stupid, because i'm all about being unique, but some of my favorite singers sing notes all the time that are just out of reach, and I can't get the same tonality at their ranges... (Vince Neil, Axl Rose) Coincidentally I've been compared to both of them, but it's probably because I sing clear with some attitude and not tons of rasp. I'd love to extend my normal tonality a little bit higher, but am not sure how to do it, brett's "mix" route i've heard before and have tried to achieve on my own for choral purposes in high school but never had a good teacher, and i like your approach as well because of the rock orientation, but am not sure how to approach any new training.... I realize I'm rambling now and will just hope you don't get to confused and hopefully have time to reply

Jordan

Re: Realistic Range

I'm a bass. I have 6 octaves. Wanna hear 5 of them? They are all full notes except for the mix I use to break the glass in the video and the A above Soprano A which is in whistle. You can do what you believe you can do. I am proof ;)
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=641783534&n=2

JV

Okay, Jaime, when you say "A above Soprano A".

Is that an A6 or A7?

I have to ask because I can't really read music, and my theory is crap.... I took some music theory courses 20 years ago and never used it again.

Thanks,
Tim

That would be A6 and the C above that goes to a 7. Now, I have hit a A7 but it was difficult, so i don
't actually count the notes above the C7 as part of my 6 octaves, although I have hit quite a few of them.

JV