THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stainds Aaron Lewis!

I can't find Aaron Lewis (singer of staind (awsome singer)) "singing biography" it does not say anywhere on the net (i can't find it...) that he has taken any voice lessons but clearly don't you think that he must have? i know he can sing mixed voice great and i thought you need training to sing in mixed? maybe there are some natural talents who does this naturally? And also Jaime, how long did it take for you to develope a solid mixed voice? How much per day did you practise and for how many months/years or whatever?
Thankfull for answers!

Re: Stainds Aaron Lewis!

Thankful*

I seriously doubt Aaron Lewis has had any training. He's more of a passionate singer as opposed to a technical singer. If he's had any help, it's just to keep his voice in shape for the road. I have been thinking about conacting him for an interview. I am actually so far behind with The Voice Connection because of a LOT of really awesome vocal projects that I am working on. I don't sing in mixed voice, it's full voice baby!!!! Although, by using the transcending Tone exercise, you learn to use whatever you like from falsetto to mix to full voice. When I used to -ractice in my younger years, I never quit-It was practice practice practice, her there and everywhere, all day and all night...But, I was obsessed ;)

JV

Well what do you think of him as a singer than? Is he good or bad or what? Im obsessed too I really want to improove my voice, i think im gonna practise with brett mannings singing success during summer for like 2-3 hours a day. I think Aaron is awsome!

I heard he was really "Potsi" from Happy Days...

Not a huge Staind fan but he's cool. I like a lot of their songs though. Keep at Brett's program, it's really good:) Hey Cob, I heard the same rumor. Don't know if it's true or not. Did ya happen to find the Fonz, uh, I mean, that FONT. You know what I am talking about ;)

JV

What do you mean? What is "potsi" and from happy days? Im not from the US. so maybe you could explain it a bit to me? Im curious!

I dont think hes that great, he cries to much and is sad about all of his topics

His real name was Anson Williams..and he played a teenage heartthrob named Potsi on a series called Happy Days...Do yourself a favor and look this show up.....

Was he funny to watch? Or what? I can imagine he was funny

I never quit-It was practice practice practice, her there and everywhere, all day and all night...But, I was obsessed ;)

LOL more like JG than JV.

Staind started out great, but they kind of disappeared up their own nether regions.

I would blame the label they're signed with, though... Or maybe Aaron Lewis's sudden, unreasonable happiness.

What do you mean? Aarons happines? It sure does not show on Chapter V. It is only melankolic songs on that album? Or maybe i have missed something. When you say they started out great, do you mean that they sounded rawer in the beginning than now? Or what do you mean? By the way, does anyone have a technical view on his voice? They way he sings, technically, not emotionally. Answer please

That's his technique; he sings what he feels, he doesn't...Say...Keep his larynx down on purpose, sing 'mixed' or falsetto or full or whatever...He's just singing, that's what most vocalists in bands do nowadays. They are technically awful but sound great. He rarely ever sings in a mixed voice though. Or it never sounds like it. It's always full or falsetto. I think there is way too much misconception as to what a mixed voice sounds like.

He is okay, but that style is tired and boring. Most of those singers from that era(late 90's-early 2000)sing in that monotonous, baritone style. I think you need to go back to 80's hair bands to find real vocal talent. Most singers can't wail sing like Sebastian, Halford, Dio, Tate and The Metal God, Halford. Chris Cornell is one of the few great singers from the grunge and post grunge era. Just putting in my 2 cents worth.

Oops! I mentioned Halford twice. I meant to say Bruce Dickinson. But Halford is so good, he should be mentioned twice.