THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: L.Cohen/Iced Earth/Dio/Deep Purple covers by me

noone to give me advices?!
is it so awful and embarassing?!!

haha no it isn´t embarassing at all, ,man!
You are a very good singer, your cover of watching over me and hallelujah are absolutely awesome!
The covers of burn and holy diver are also good but you lack opening at some parts in your mixed voice which leads to a nasal sound especially on holy diver. I have the same problem but in my case it is caused by yet untrained muscles because I have only recently discovered my upper register. But you seventhson simply have to drop that jaw and let the sound travell through your soft pallate, then everything will be fine ;)A good song for you to try would be ozzy osbourne´s hellraiser, that song is pretty **** hard....no time to breath arrrgh ;) I am working on it at the moment and it is a great practice for mixed voice!
anyway you did a great job, can be proud of yourself and just have to remember to open up more.

greets
rock on dude :)
René

thank you
as I am baritone, I still have a lot of trouble handling with high notes. Still have a lot of problems in staying in full voice in my upper register.
To help me singing in my upper register without straining or having to go falsetto, I use a lot of the RYV pharyngeal stuff, but as a result it brings me too much nasality.

And another problem with Holy Diver is to add a touch of grit on top of it, and the higher I sing the harder it is to do it!

For the mixed voice, maybe I use it, but I don't even know what a real definition of it is! Is it a mix of full voice and falsetto? If it is that, I don't even understand how the vocals folds can do it!

I will have a listen to Ozzy song, I don't know it

seventhson
thank you
as I am baritone, I still have a lot of trouble handling with high notes. Still have a lot of problems in staying in full voice in my upper register.
To help me singing in my upper register without straining or having to go falsetto, I use a lot of the RYV pharyngeal stuff, but as a result it brings me too much nasality.

And another problem with Holy Diver is to add a touch of grit on top of it, and the higher I sing the harder it is to do it!

For the mixed voice, maybe I use it, but I don't even know what a real definition of it is! Is it a mix of full voice and falsetto? If it is that, I don't even understand how the vocals folds can do it!

I will have a listen to Ozzy song, I don't know it

hey seventhson!
I know what causes your nasality when singing higher notes with pharyngeal! The same happened to me too as I mentioned and it happens when you are straining your soft pallate AND you are lucky! The solution to this problem is, as I have already mentioned in my last post, more opening and letting your soft pallate expand on it´s own to let the sound love backwards towards your "cold spot"!
Something that really helped me with overcomming that problem is to let the part of your tongue in your throat completely relaxed as well as Kevin Ricihard´s warm up program vocal fire! somehow it teaches you to hit your higher notes just like I mentioned above.
Try it out!!!! Awesome product!!!!!!
You could purchase it here
http://www.thevoxshop.com/vocal-warm-up.html

Yeah I know that problem with adding grid on higher notes but I think that is just a matter of practice!

Jaime reffers to the mixed voice as chest voice with falsetto, Kevin Richards refers to it as adding pharyngeal to your chest voice, Valerie Bastien it is simply chest resonance and head resonance together and Robert Lunte says that mixed voice is dead and doens´t exist, he calls it the lower headvoice.
Termonology is dangerous so I stick to Valerie´s definition as it is the easiest to me :)

Check that song out! It is awesome, but tough!!!!
As a baritone you´ll have to bridge often!!!

Greets René

That's why I'm totally confused with all those definition.
I totally agree with Jaime saying there is only "one voice". For me, the only "break" is the voice flipping from full voice to falsetto. And for me as for Jaime, chest, throat and head are not vocal mechanism, but only resonnance places depending on the pitch.
* mixed voice = chest + falsetto?
I can sing lower notes in falsetto and they already resonate in my chest. I assume that you mean full voice + falsetto
* mixed voice = chest + pharyngeal?
I also assume you mean full voice + pharyngeal
* chest + head? I'm confused!

The way I understood mixed voice, picking informations from RYV and from Kevin Richards, is while ascending to keep vocal folds adduction - compression, with breath support, to stay in full voice, and begin to add the pharyngeal stuff to help staying in full voice.
Maybe I am wrong, terminology is so confusing !!!

seventhson
That's why I'm totally confused with all those definition.
I totally agree with Jaime saying there is only "one voice". For me, the only "break" is the voice flipping from full voice to falsetto. And for me as for Jaime, chest, throat and head are not vocal mechanism, but only resonnance places depending on the pitch.
* mixed voice = chest + falsetto?
I can sing lower notes in falsetto and they already resonate in my chest. I assume that you mean full voice + falsetto
* mixed voice = chest + pharyngeal?
I also assume you mean full voice + pharyngeal
* chest + head? I'm confused!

The way I understood mixed voice, picking informations from RYV and from Kevin Richards, is while ascending to keep vocal folds adduction - compression, with breath support, to stay in full voice, and begin to add the pharyngeal stuff to help staying in full voice.
Maybe I am wrong, terminology is so confusing !!!

yeah you are right about them being resonators for pitch!
your chest voice is produced in your oropharynx so you feel your point of resonance in your chest.
your mixed voice is produced in your laryngopharynx so you feel the point of resonance in
your throat. Your head voice is produced in your nasopharynx so the point of resonance is felt in your head!
I actually don't know what to make of jaime's deffinition of full voice plus falsetto.
but you are right with your definition of mixed voice. I would describe it the same way!

greets!
Rene

I am quite confusing with all the twang, pharyngeal, mix voice, thyroid tilt stuff...
Are there all the same? Or Is the twang-pharyngeal (so a epiglotis constriction) the consequence of thyroid tilt or is ith totally different?
The problem is that I am a baritone singer, singing rock and metal, and I'd like to sing more confortably notes above C5 without using falsetto.
From what I understood, mix voice is a mix of full voice and falsetto voice, and it is produced by thyroid tilt and by sufficiant folds adduction-compression due to beath support.
But how to really control the mechanism?
Is twang-pharyngeal the "control button"? To control mix voice, is it a matter of breath support which cause suffisiant folds adduction + directing the sound to the soft palate + twang-pharyngeal (a little like crying, witches cackle...) for resonation?
My aim isn't mastering terminology or anatomy, but only to know how to control the mechanism to have the more power as possible in my upper range.
Are the metal high screams falsetto+twang, or simply mix voice?

Also, keep in mind that on "Burn", there are two singers singing that. Many people don't realize that the part that is high("You know you have no time...") is not David Coverdale, it is Glenn Hughes singing.

Tim

Hey Seventhson, I think you have a great power in your low voice till now.

As you are still discovering your upper register, why don't you focus in some lower songs.. To be sincere, you sounded very nasal in "Holy Diver" and in "Burn", it's not a bad thing since you know you should work to improve your upper register.

But in "Hallelujah" and in "Watching over me" your voice shines a lot!

My tip is to focus in some lower songs as you are developing your upper register. I'm not a professional singer and I'm far away from that, but I think a great singer should know their own limitations and work on it without forcing!

Regards.

I know I have a lot of work for my upper range, that's why I am here and I bought RYV! Don't want to have too much limitations in my range!