THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Digastric Muscles in Vocal Power

Val
No dude. Those are the anti constrictor muscles. The constrictor muscles are used for swallowing. The swallowing muscles are the ones that are causing the high larynx , thus causing strain. When practicing you should not experience any kind of pain. By pain i mean that when u sing and u feel it , you cant keep singing more it becomes more tough. That means that you are doing something wrong either with the support or with the placement. The muscles behind the chin (the good muscles) must not become tight when you sing. And if they become tight its the same , wrong support or placement. Singing is simple. Support + vocal placement. When you place the voice in the soft palate and you support the note the higher you go , you will feel this sensation in the anti constrictor muscles. Read the book and remember. Support + placement.
Val is right, except I would add one more element. Singing is: proper breathing+support+proper placement. Val, you say read the book, but he is using Jim Gillette's Vocal Power, not Raise Your Voice. The approaches are a little different. All of Jim's exercises are totally full voice except for the transcending tone/E screams at the end. The info you gave is right on, but just keep in mind that he is using a different program, so the terminology might be a little different. Jim does say that the muscles behind the chin might begin to ache if you are doing these exercises properly and that if they do, you are doing them correctly. He says to take a break if you feel this, for a few hours at least and maybe for the day if it persists.

Re: Digastric Muscles in Vocal Power

Thanks for the advice. I've read the book a dozen times and I'm pretty comfortable with my grasp on all the support and placement aspects. There is no pain and I'm not reaching for the next note beyond my break.

I was just thinking that perhaps those muscles under the chin where kicking in beyond the point where I needed to change gears? The only reason I was blaming them is because they appear to be the only tense muscles in my body during the higher notes. It's like I'm holding that upper note forever waiting for the next one and the next one don't come. lol