THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: General tone question?

JakeR
sorry haha try it again should work now
Hey Jake. I just listened to your clip. To me, it sounds like you are not supporting very well. You should keep a mild tension in your abdominal region every time you sing. Relax it to take a good breath then tighten a little, like blowing out candles on a birthday cake, just before you sing. That will help you keep a consistent resonant tone that you are missing. I think you need to also practice feeling the resonance that Jamie talks about. Keep it up. You should always feel some buzzing in your mask (eyes and nasal region) even when you are singing low. You will know when you have it down, because singing will become very easy when you do. Keep up the good work. Work on getting your breathing, support and resonance down in your natural range before trying to extend it. It's not gonna matter how high you can sing if the tone stinks. Be encouraged! YOu are not hopeless. You can sing beautifully if you work on these things. Give the book a reread.

I actually think that you have a nice tone. What area of your tone do you wish to improve specifically? You don't sound nasal and you don't sing this song in your chest voice from what I can tell. This song only shows off a limited portion of your range so it's hard to make an accurate educated suggestion. But what comes to mind is your enunciation. Bite into the words a bit more. That will open up the back of your throat and sculpt your resonance chamber into place adding more resonance to the mix. Hope that helps.

Val

JakeR
Ive benn using RYV for a while but i noticed it only really focuses on range. Well what about tone.. ive benn singing for like two years and my tone has never gotten better im seriously frustrated with it. Can one of u guys possibly help me out. http://soundcloud.com/walshbrennan/jhhl# haha dont make fun of me its pretty bad lol

Hi Jake,

Your tone can be better, but I just want to say its sounding nice already.

Derick