THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How long do you warm up?

I think the most valuable warm-up exercises are the breathing exercises. They are very important to program the coordination of your breath support/ If your breath if off, everything else will as well ;)

oiselle
I think the most valuable warm-up exercises are the breathing exercises. They are very important to program the coordination of your breath support/ If your breath if off, everything else will as well ;)
Totally agreed, Oiselle. I incorporate the breathing exercises into my lip bubble, resonant hum, and tongue trill exercises. I make sure I'm breathing low, ribs are expanding, and I'm supporting properly.

Happy New Year to you my Canadian Vocal Sensei and friend!

my warmup is a full gnarly workout, about 1 hr 20 mins. i do an entire workout, rest 30 mins and then do my singing/recording, the voice is on fire at this point middle voice all warmed up, breaking is impossible basically.

i follow ken tamplins course where this is what he recommends you do. i think most people think they're warmed up and they really aren't, the vocal workout has become my warm up for the studio/performances

1 hour and 30 minutes warmup? That is so amazing. I've always warm up 30 minutes the most. 1 year ago if i would read the title of this subject i would say it is stupid. How long do you warm up? Does it matter? Of course it matters. I get that today. I cant sing if i am not warmed up. There were some rare cases when i was really really warmed up , and i always thought how do i achieve this everytime when i sing. Well i guess i am gonna have to buzz until my voice feels free , then sing. I've heard about Ken Templin too but i like Jaime's method more. No one beats Jaime. Period

Phil
my warmup is a full gnarly workout, about 1 hr 20 mins. i do an entire workout, rest 30 mins and then do my singing/recording, the voice is on fire at this point middle voice all warmed up, breaking is impossible basically.

i follow ken tamplins course where this is what he recommends you do. i think most people think they're warmed up and they really aren't, the vocal workout has become my warm up for the studio/performances

I don't know about his teaching, but Ken Tamplin is a PHENOMENAL rock singer. He really is that good. Val, you should check him out.

I think that an 1:30 hour to warm-up is too much. If you warm-up for that long, how much time do you allocate towards developing the technical aspect of the voice? And how much time do you spend learning songs, applying correct technique to them and working on the interpretation? 1:30hrs warm-up feels more like an actual practice with vocalizes and stuff where you are actually training your voice; may be that's what you meant. But in reality, most poeple don't have that much time to put towards practicing every day. Plus, if your vocal technique is developing, by the time 1:30 has past, you might be experiencing a bit of fatigue as you are trying to find yourself vocally. So then, you start working on your songs on the wrong foot, already being at the end of your rope if you know what I mean!!!

I would recommend 10-15 min actual warm-up 15-20 min on vocal technique development and the rest on learning songs and applying what you are learning to the songs. If you can manage 1 hour to 1:30hrs in total every day, that is awesome!

As you become better, you won't need to warm-up as much. I personally often don't really need it. I can jump into it right away at ANY time of the day or night just because I know what I'm doing, lol! But if I practice a difficult song, then I do take the time to warm-up properly to make sure I start my training positively.

That is the beauty of singing effortlessly :)

Holy smoke , and i've practiced sirens for 3 hours every day for the past week. No wonder i was feeling sore. My new neighbours 'love' me!

"I think that an 1:30 hour to warm-up is too much. If you warm-up for that long, how much time do you allocate towards developing the technical aspect of the voice? "

everyone thinks the word "warmup" cannot have anything to do with vocal development. But I already mentioned that i spend 1 hour 20 mins on my vocal workout/development. It is now a warmup. I do a vocal workout (not RYV), rest 30 mins and then do performance/recording. the vocal workout has become the warmup for singing. the middle voice is "awakened" and it will set you on fire for singing sessions.

"1:30hrs warm-up feels more like an actual practice with vocalizes and stuff where you are actually training your voice"

it is indeed an actual practice for developing the voice......and it is also a warmup for performance/studio sessions

" if your vocal technique is developing, by the time 1:30 has past, you might be experiencing a bit of fatigue as you are trying to find yourself vocallySo then, you start working on your songs on the wrong foot, already being at the end of your rope if you know what I mean!!! "

none of what you wrote happens to me because i've built up to it, you know how skill development works right?

I think that Ken's Stage 3 is the perfect technical improver and warm up. It's grueling time wise but if you need to record, doing exactly what Phil is what I have found to be the most helpful.

if you guy's haven't checked out Doug's album, do so it's really good.

Well yes Phil, it depends on what is implied in 'warm-up"! It sounds like what you're doing is working for you. I was replying in general terms not necessarily directly to you ;)Of course, once vocal technique is mastered, singing and/or warming up for 1hr30 and + shouldn't affect you negatively :) I wouldn't recommend it to beginners that's all!