THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cover for your critique ;)

Moritz
Hey Renè, ich schreib dir jetz mal auf deutsch, die Kritik is ja für dich.

Die meisten hier sprechen ja nicht deutsch und können somit nicht deine lyrics beurteilen... Da hab ich manches ned so verstanden, machen einige der besten Sänger aber deren schlampigkeit musss jan sich ja nicht zum Vorbild nehmen.

Zum Gesang : Deine Stimme hat Viel Potential
Aber Intonation musst noch üben ( Ich bin übrigens bis heut noch nicht problemfrei was die gute Inton. betrifft) Also schau dir mal die Intonantionsübung bei der Siren Section in RYV an. Ich muss dir aber sagen dass es für gute Intonation und das Saubere singen von längeren Phrasen ( zum beispiel kleine Wörter mit vielen Noten) kein Wunderrezzept gibt, sondern nur viele Songs singen, sich Aufenehmen und selber zuhören.

Ich weiß ich schreib viel aber ich mach mir eben mühe dir eine Gerechte nützliche Kritik zu geben

Und ich perönlich bin von deiner Stimme überzeugt und mit RyV im Bücherregal und viel Ambition kann das ja nur genial werden

Ps. zurückschreiben wär gscheid auf englisch

Hey Moritz
Thank´s for the critique!
Yes I know the digital camera is the reason why some words are hard to understand, I also got my sm58 for recording but the sound card on my laptop is crap and on audiacity it sounds like all of my resonance get´s lost. Don´t know why but untill I figure out the reason why I´ll have to keep recording with my digital camera. Thank you for pointing out my intonation problem! I am aware of it don´t worry.
I take lessons from Valerie Bastien (great coach by the way) and exercise on my intonation every day, so I am sure that it is gonna get better
I am passionated and ambitious so I am gonna be a great singer but it is gonna take time. I am sure it also took time to develop your voice. By the way! How long have you been singing???
I am kinda relieved that you are convinced of my voice so that I ain´t the only one lol just kidding
I know that I am a good singer but I know about my weaknesses and I am a hard worker, so the only things I am gonna need are patience and joy!

Thank´s again for your helpfull critique
René

Yes I know the digital camera is the reason why some words are hard to understand, I also got my sm58 for recording but the sound card on my laptop is crap and on audiacity it sounds like all of my resonance get´s lost. Don´t know why but untill I figure out the reason why I´ll have to keep recording with my digital camera. Thank you for pointing out my intonation problem! I am aware of it don´t worry.

You need a proper balanced XLR microphone preamp that gives you a line out, or, even better, a sound card with one. Otherwise, the quality you are going to get will be poor. You could get something like this or this.

Something like this would be more flexible.

Alkis Tsapanidis

You need a proper balanced XLR microphone preamp that gives you a line out, or, even better, a sound card with one. Otherwise, the quality you are going to get will be poor. You could get something like this or this.

Hey Alkis!
Wow the MIDITECH audiolink 2 really got my attention!!! Sounds like the perfect choice :)
Do you think the sm58 is good enough for recording???
Because I don´t really have the cash for a more professional recording microphon right now. I mean....that sm58 has survived for ages for a reason, right ;)

moshmetalvocalist
Alkis Tsapanidis

Hey Alkis!
Wow the MIDITECH audiolink 2 really got my attention!!! Sounds like the perfect choice :)
Because I don´t really have the cash for a more professional recording microphon right now. I mean....that sm58 has survived for ages for a reason, right ;)
Dude! Sure 58s and 57s are the BEST mics you can get for the money. Professionals use them a LOT. They are great for live performances and recording.

Yes, that's what I use for most of my recordings. I have a condenser mic that sounds better but it's plainly inconvenient, as it forces me to record with headphones on etc.

Also, do not underestimate the importance of a good vocal patch in the software you do your recording and mixing in. In all my recordings I use a nice patch with compression, deessing, reverb, etc. The best way to figure that part out is just to play around.

Here is an example of what a difference the vocal effects can make. The same line completely dry and then with the effects patch I use.

It uses the following free VST plugins:

RescueAE - Signal modelling
Modern DeEsser - A pretty good deesser.
Modern Exciter - Makes the sound more lively by exciting harmonics.
Ambiance - A pretty big sounding reverb.
Modern Compressor - No matter what you do, you are gonna need a compressor if you're singing rock.
FerricTDS - Tape dynamics and saturation modelling.

Plus a bog stadard echo.

moshmetalvocalist
Alkis Tsapanidis

Hey Alkis!

Hi Mosh,

Since I am new to vocal training, I dont want to invest yet so thought Id buy a cheap mic. I ended up buying Behringer B1 condenser mic. I know many people say bad things about the brand but it perfectly works for me and is well within my budget.

cheers,

Derick

Hey Man, I am a more or less professional studio engenier, little tech-freak, I own a shure 58 and a Akg perception 420 and I can just recomend you to buy a shure sm 57, for singing the 58 sucks, cause of the moveble head which makes some ugly noice if you move your hands much, but they are almost the same.
Get a soundcard wich gives you the possibillity of direct monitoring, or a mixer wich does. And then you can sing to your favour. songs on your computer haearing yourself perfectly.

Ps: I haven been singing now for about 2,5 years really for making music. Tried 2 years to increase my range and power to sing songs from Symphony X; DT, Maiden ... I progressed a little but it was like waisting my time compared to the last 4 months. Probably my voice got older and stronger, but also the last 9 weeks Isolation method helped, I was tryin 2 years to sing a D5 for certain song, but in the last weeks I increased my range from C5 to G5. And I am so happy that I`ll post next week covers from some songs including GETHSEMANE from "Jesus Christ Superstar" movie 1973

Thanks for all of your comments, critiques and information about recording.
You guys are a great help :)

René

Hey René,

i think the most important point to work on is, as already said, your intonation. I have the same problem aswell from time to time.

But it's a good cover i my opinion.

Grüße aus Deutschland ;)
Keep on rockin'!!!!