THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Siren

Hey guys, I was wondering what would be a better sound to sing when doing the siren. Would it be beter to do it with a low larynx type sound to build weight, or stick with that bright and resonant tone that Jim Gillette uses on all of his exercises in Vocal Power. And also is the tonal colour of the voice easier to vary if you have more resonance.

Cheers

Re: Siren

Hi, first:welcome here to the forum
About your Siren question: There is everything right singin with a big resonanant tone expanding the rips...But like Jaime said: The voice is like a triangle. In the lower range your core of resonance is big and as you ascend scale your voice is getting edgier and pointier due to your core of resonance rising up in your head. So sing with a big sound, as big as possible but if your voice gets thinner as you sing higher pitches there is nothing wrong about it

Nice greets from Austria
Moe

Re: Siren

Throttle
Hey guys, I was wondering what would be a better sound to sing when doing the siren. Would it be beter to do it with a low larynx type sound to build weight, or stick with that bright and resonant tone that Jim Gillette uses on all of his exercises in Vocal Power. And also is the tonal colour of the voice easier to vary if you have more resonance.

Cheers

I suggest you listen to the RYV audio files and listen to how Jamie actually explains and demonstrates this exercise. It should answer all your questions. Those files make this book 100 percent more useful. I didn't understand nearly as much about what he was teaching or the exercises until I listened to those files. They explain a LOT!