THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Am I on the right track?

rychefan11
well done man, i think it's pretty good....the only thing is that your highs are not as good supported as your lows and you get a little bit out of tune in the end...don't know what i should say more...good job dude and nice guitar playing as well....i also like your timbre...keep on rockin man!

thanks dude. Yes, my highs are not there yet. I was able to increase my upper range a bit through practice but im still not happy with it, i wonder what am i doing wrong. the last notes are not my within reach too so i went out of tune :)

Can't tell if pulling up chest voice or bridging correctly...

Hey!
I think u r very excited about singing really high and who isn't! But dont get too caught in adding range! Like jaime said u need quality for those notes u can sing now! N high notes r nasal at first! But dont be depressed and keep practice n keep adding quality to those notes! U want to add quality to those nasal high notes n u must n i know u can! But like i said dont get too caught in adding ur range! The whole range needs quality! N i watched ur video and it is good! But u r not in tune sometime! however it is still good! keep on singing!

BB
Hey!
I think u r very excited about singing really high and who isn't! But dont get too caught in adding range! Like jaime said u need quality for those notes u can sing now! N high notes r nasal at first! But dont be depressed and keep practice n keep adding quality to those notes! U want to add quality to those nasal high notes n u must n i know u can! But like i said dont get too caught in adding ur range! The whole range needs quality! N i watched ur video and it is good! But u r not in tune sometime! however it is still good! keep on singing!

thanks BB! Yeah you are right, im really excited to sing higher notes. See, i thought i'll never ever sing those high notes before, but now i can see some improvements in a short period of time (which makes me even more excited). but yeah, i'll keep on mind to prioritise good quality notes within my range first knowing that my range will also increase eventually.
And most importantly, thanks for answering my question about the nasal thing.
cheers,
Derick

Derick
BB
Hey!

thanks BB! Yeah you are right, im really excited to sing higher notes. See, i thought i'll never ever sing those high notes before, but now i can see some improvements in a short period of time (which makes me even more excited). but yeah, i'll keep on mind to prioritise good quality notes within my range first knowing that my range will also increase eventually.
cheers,
Derick

Derick,

You have a good natural tone to your voice. I REALLY like your guitar and playing bro! :) Your pitch seems to waiver a little bit even on your lower notes. I think that if you keep working on your breathing and support that you will have it licked. Maybe you are a little nervous? You have the range to sing this song I just think that if you learn to sing your high notes without pushing so much that this is gonna be really great. I suggest that you "sing" the entire song on a lip bubble/lip roll. It will show you where to put the placement without pushing your voice and it will just glide up and down in your range. I do this a few times when I'm having trouble and a song goes into a high part and I feel like I have to push to reach it. After doing the lip bubble thing for a while try singing it but keeping that relaxation and effortless placement. I hope this helps you. How long have you been doing RYV?

Ben
Derick
BB
Hey!

cheers,
Derick

Derick,

You have a good natural tone to your voice. I REALLY like your guitar and playing bro! :) Your pitch seems to waiver a little bit even on your lower notes. I think that if you keep working on your breathing and support that you will have it licked. Maybe you are a little nervous? You have the range to sing this song I just think that if you learn to sing your high notes without pushing so much that this is gonna be really great. I suggest that you "sing" the entire song on a lip bubble/lip roll. It will show you where to put the placement without pushing your voice and it will just glide up and down in your range. I do this a few times when I'm having trouble and a song goes into a high part and I feel like I have to push to reach it. After doing the lip bubble thing for a while try singing it but keeping that relaxation and effortless placement. I hope this helps you. How long have you been doing RYV?

Thanks for the advice Ben, they really make sense. Thanks for the guitar compliments, Maton is awesome and Ive been playing for a few years now. Its now my 6th week of doing RYV, just the 1st falsetto slide exercise and first siren exercise. i put TT on the side because its hard. but i will definitely incorporate that soon. i am just doing the two exercises for now to see if i can really make progress and since pitch is easily measured too.

I never had vocal training before and RYV is the first program I use (I did not know you can even increase you range!) But since I play guitars, I always sing too, which makes my voice not "too beginner" I think.

Thanks for the advice Ben, they really make sense. Thanks for the guitar compliments, Maton is awesome and Ive been playing for a few years now. Its now my 6th week of doing RYV, just the 1st falsetto slide exercise and first siren exercise. i put TT on the side because its hard. but i will definitely incorporate that soon. i am just doing the two exercises for now to see if i can really make progress and since pitch is easily measured too.

I never had vocal training before and RYV is the first program I use (I did not know you can even increase you range!) But since I play guitars, I always sing too, which makes my voice not "too beginner" I think.[/quote]

You are welcome my friend. I play guitar too. I have lower end Martin and I just put a Breedlove on layaway at guitar center. I think the acoustic guitar is one of the most versatile instruments around.

I really think you should try the transending tone. Don't worry about doing a bunch of notes. Start on middle C and do it over and over until you get it. The move on the C#. It will help you a LOT. It also helps if you work downscale with it. If I only have time for one exercise I do transcending tone. It is hard to to right, but probably the most important of the three exercises. I mean they are all important. I suggest you incorporate it asap! :) You don't have to spend hours doing vocal exercises each day. You should be singing at least as much as you do exercises. Don't get discouraged if your exercises don't translate to great singing right away. It takes time going from pure vowels to singing with lots of fluctuations in pitch, consonants, long/short phrases. Lately I have been trying sing more than I do the exercises. Practicing just doing exercises is like a boxer conditioning his body like crazy, but not ever fighting anyone! :) Your voice gets stronger with the exercises, but you get better at singing by singing. At least that is what I have found to be true. Rock on my friend. I can't wait to hear your update videos as you get even better.

Ben

I never had vocal training before and RYV is the first program I use (I did not know you can even increase you range!) But since I play guitars, I always sing too, which makes my voice not "too beginner" I think.

You are welcome my friend. I play guitar too. I have lower end Martin and I just put a Breedlove on layaway at guitar center. I think the acoustic guitar is one of the most versatile instruments around.

I really think you should try the transending tone. Don't worry about doing a bunch of notes. Start on middle C and do it over and over until you get it. The move on the C#. It will help you a LOT. It also helps if you work downscale with it. If I only have time for one exercise I do transcending tone. It is hard to to right, but probably the most important of the three exercises. I mean they are all important. I suggest you incorporate it asap! :) You don't have to spend hours doing vocal exercises each day. You should be singing at least as much as you do exercises. Don't get discouraged if your exercises don't translate to great singing right away. It takes time going from pure vowels to singing with lots of fluctuations in pitch, consonants, long/short phrases. Lately I have been trying sing more than I do the exercises. Practicing just doing exercises is like a boxer conditioning his body like crazy, but not ever fighting anyone! :) Your voice gets stronger with the exercises, but you get better at singing by singing. At least that is what I have found to be true. Rock on my friend. I can't wait to hear your update videos as you get even better.[/quote]

Hi Ben, I have a new demo video to share. I have recently incorporated TT in my practice and witch cackle but I doubt it made a huge difference yet to my voice.

Hope you enjoy, and as usual, criticism and advice is much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggMzk9IfzPA

cheers,

Derick

Hi Ben, I have a new demo video to share. I have recently incorporated TT in my practice and witch cackle but I doubt it made a huge difference yet to my voice.

cheers,

Derick[/quote]

Hey Derick,

I think this song suits your voice really well. I like how you intentionally made it breathy during the verse. It suits the mood of the song. It sounds really good brother! You sound more relaxed. I still think you might be pushing and tensing up just a little on the higher notes. You will get this worked out with practice. Your singing sounds more effortless. Even if you are using the wrong technique it sounds good. LOL! I'm guessing that English is not your native language? You might want to work a little more on the pronunciation. That was the only thing that was a little off putting. You have a GREAT voice man. I'm a fan. :) This is a great song for you. The guitar sounds good as well!

Ben

cheers,

Derick

Hey Derick,

I think this song suits your voice really well. I like how you intentionally made it breathy during the verse. It suits the mood of the song. It sounds really good brother! You sound more relaxed. I still think you might be pushing and tensing up just a little on the higher notes. You will get this worked out with practice. Your singing sounds more effortless. Even if you are using the wrong technique it sounds good. LOL! I'm guessing that English is not your native language? You might want to work a little more on the pronunciation. That was the only thing that was a little off putting. You have a GREAT voice man. I'm a fan. :) This is a great song for you. The guitar sounds good as well![/quote]

Thanks Ben. I sang the song which is about a half step higher than my comfortable range. I did that because I want to achieve a gritty or raspy effect but I can only do that when the notes are higher. At least now I know I am not doing it correctly, thanks for the advice of not pushing it. I think I saw someone wrote in other posts that he is wondering how to get a gritty voice in the lower register. I have to work on that one too.
Yes, English is not my native language. I am a Filipino who just migrated to Melbourne a few years back.

Keep on posting new demos man. I enjoy your songs :)

Derick
Ben

cheers,

Derick

Hey Derick,

I think this song suits your voice really well. I like how you intentionally made it breathy during the verse. It suits the mood of the song. It sounds really good brother! You sound more relaxed. I still think you might be pushing and tensing up just a little on the higher notes. You will get this worked out with practice. Your singing sounds more effortless. Even if you are using the wrong technique it sounds good. LOL! I'm guessing that English is not your native language? You might want to work a little more on the pronunciation. That was the only thing that was a little off putting. You have a GREAT voice man. I'm a fan. :) This is a great song for you. The guitar sounds good as well!

Thanks Ben. I sang the song which is about a half step higher than my comfortable range. I did that because I want to achieve a gritty or raspy effect but I can only do that when the notes are higher. At least now I know I am not doing it correctly, thanks for the advice of not pushing it. I think I saw someone wrote in other posts that he is wondering how to get a gritty voice in the lower register. I have to work on that one too.
Yes, English is not my native language. I am a Filipino who just migrated to Melbourne a few years back.

Keep on posting new demos man. I enjoy your songs :)[/quote]I can't give you any advice on singing gritty. I can't do it properly without straining or hurting my throat. One of these rock godz will have to help you with that. LOL! I'm not saying that you are singing wrong. I'm just saying to be aware of it. It really sounds good and I LOVE this song. I first heard the Jeff Buckley version and didn't realize that he was doing a cover of the J.J. Cale version. J.J. Cale was doing a cover of the original Leonard Cohen version. You should check those out if you haven't. they are all beautiful and different.

[/quote]I can't give you any advice on singing gritty. I can't do it properly without straining or hurting my throat. One of these rock godz will have to help you with that. LOL! I'm not saying that you are singing wrong. I'm just saying to be aware of it. It really sounds good and I LOVE this song. I first heard the Jeff Buckley version and didn't realize that he was doing a cover of the J.J. Cale version. J.J. Cale was doing a cover of the original Leonard Cohen version. You should check those out if you haven't. they are all beautiful and different.[/quote]

"Im just saying be aware of it" - Oh I get what you mean. I like Jeff Buckley's version because I find it edgier. Leonard Cohen's low register is awesome though. I covered Kate Voegele's version because shes an attractive lady ha ha

Derick
I can't give you any advice on singing gritty. I can't do it properly without straining or hurting my throat. One of these rock godz will have to help you with that. LOL! I'm not saying that you are singing wrong. I'm just saying to be aware of it. It really sounds good and I LOVE this song. I first heard the Jeff Buckley version and didn't realize that he was doing a cover of the J.J. Cale version. J.J. Cale was doing a cover of the original Leonard Cohen version. You should check those out if you haven't. they are all beautiful and different.[/quote]

"Im just saying be aware of it" - Oh I get what you mean. I like Jeff Buckley's version because I find it edgier. Leonard Cohen's low register is awesome though. I covered Kate Voegele's version because shes an attractive lady ha ha[/quote] Man, that whole Jeff Buckley album, "Grace", that Hallelujah is on is amazing. I listen to it a lot. Every song on it is great. I've done a lot of things because of pretty ladies. :) I even got married to one.