THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why do I have to clear my throat while singing? :/

Melie
Hi Melanie!

I speak very few in fact, and have a tiny voice when I do. So, I was thinking that maybe when I sing, my voice is not used to be making "efforts"... or something like that.
It doesn't really happen to me when I'm not training, no.
Can come from the diet too, I absolutely don't have an healthy life (what I have to change asap...).
I don't drink nor smoke, but, because of my job, I eat at different hours every day, sometimes I don't eat, sometimes I just eat biscuits, you know... :/ Something a bit awful for a singer, I guess!!

But, I over with my job next friday! So I'll have all the month of October to change all that! That's why I'm glad to have started using this book now... :)

Thank you! and let's see if with the time and an healthy life that problem gets better!

Hey Melie,

You might consider taking a skype lesson from someone at rocksource360 to help you troubleshoot and get started correctly. If you are doing something wrong, practicing wrong things over and over and really hurt your voice. I have had some lessons with Val Bastien (oiselle). She is really good at helping beginners get started. I hear that lessons with Jamie are awesome too, but I can't afford them! :)

I agree with Ben. You really should do at least one lesson. I sang for several years without lessons and when I finally took some that's when I started seeing improvement.
Also you could be speaking incorrectly which transfers into your singing. If you speak softly, quiet ect..it will make your tone breathy if that's the only way you use your voice.
I don't speak a lot either and people always say I have a really soft and quiet voice, but when I started working on my voice it has really helped with my speaking voice as well. I can get really loud and have a good amount of power when I want to use it.

Look into getting a lesson or two if you can :)
Melanie

You muscles are confused because they are learning something new. Are you sure that you are doing the exercises correctly? I agree with previous users; if you can, take some lesson with Jaime or me to get you started on the right foot as opposed to practicing and creating muscle memory for something that is wrong and creating friction in you vocal cords.

Val
valeriebastien.com

Hi,

Sorry not to have answered before!

I don't have that problem with my throat anymore, I don't know if it's because I was starting with this technic or because of something else... But the good thing is that it doesn't happen anymore!

About the skype lessons, I'll think about it!
How does it go exactly?
I don't know, maybe I'd be a little nervous as I don't like talking on the phone and I'm a bit shy... but well!

Thank you for your answers anyway :)

Oh and, one last thing, if I can ask you your opinion about one cover I made of the song "sweet curse" from Floor Jansen (Revamp).... you can listen to it here:

http://youtu.be/og3L8uW4myk?hd=1

Thank you!
Have a nice day everybody :)

hey, I'm not the only French here!
Nice cover!

Mélie
Hi,

Sorry not to have answered before!

I don't have that problem with my throat anymore, I don't know if it's because I was starting with this technic or because of something else... But the good thing is that it doesn't happen anymore!

About the skype lessons, I'll think about it!
How does it go exactly?
I don't know, maybe I'd be a little nervous as I don't like talking on the phone and I'm a bit shy... but well!

Thank you for your answers anyway :)

Oh and, one last thing, if I can ask you your opinion about one cover I made of the song "sweet curse" from Floor Jansen (Revamp).... you can listen to it here:

http://youtu.be/og3L8uW4myk?hd=1

Thank you!
Have a nice day everybody :)

Wow! Melie, you sound amazing. I would buy a cd full of your singing. :) My wife liked it too. You have a really great voice. I'm kind of jealous

Hey, cool to see there are other French here :D From where are you??

And Thank you Ben for the compliments! I'll let you know then when I release a CD haha :)
No, seriously, I was not excpeting that much... thank you, really :)

I'm from Nancy (East of France for non-french people!)

Ah... maybe you're going to the MAI :D
I'm from Brittany (Quimper), but currently living in Spain and moving tomorow to the Netherlands.... !