THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
getting burned out

Hey guys I have been practicing with the RYV system for nearly two month now and have experienced good results. My problem is that It´s not fun doing the isolation exercises anymore. I exercise 3 hours a day (singing, vocal exercises, breathing exercises) and I am very passionated about singing. I have another vocal programm that I want to use again because I quit it for RYV, it´s called breaking the chains and was waaayy to difficult for me when I was exercising with it. Now I feel that I understand it much better because of all this cool knowledge I have received from RYV. But I just can´t put it in my daily routine because there is so much other stuff!!! I use a lot of exercises from RYV: isolation, reinvorced falsetto, grid, vibrato and witches cackle but I feel that it is getting too much.
Do I really have to practice all of them EVERYDAY to become a better singer , maybe I can split them up and spread them over the whole week!!??
Please give me some advice on how to write an exercise plan that might not need 3 hours a day to complete!!!!!!! I don´t want anything more than becoming a great passionated singer but 3 hours.....isn´t that a little TOO much????!!!

Greetings
René

Re: getting burned out

Do you practice 3 hours every day? Or do you take a couple days off? I never go that long when I practice. 2 hours is way too much.

What you could try is work on different things each day you practice. Like for me I might want to do a bunch of scales one day, then take a day and work with isolation and pitch training etc. Stuff like that.
And right now I'm taking a break from doing any vocalizing. Sometimes you just need your mind and voice to be refreshed.
Melanie

MelanieJoy
Do you practice 3 hours every day? Or do you take a couple days off?

Yes I this until and I did this 6 days a week for some weeks without showing a sign of vocal problems.
I practiced 1 and a half hour of vocal exercises, 1 and a half hour on singing (usually 12 songs) and around 1 hour on doing my ultimate breathing workout (with several breaks). Now I practice only around 45 minutes to one hour of vocal exercises and around one hour of singing. I am very into my training because I love singing and want to get the best vocalist I can be and I am sure I can be one hell of a vocalist with the right amount of practice. I reduced my exercising time because my body told me that it was getting to much and the creator of breaking the chains (love this programm)Kevin Richards said that too much exercising is gonna slow your process down so I reduced it and feel better and less stressed than before :))

Keep it fun and interesting. Variate, try other stuff. Some people exercise "only" by singing phrases of songs and it seems to work for them. Scales, sirens and "formal" exercises are boring but I believe that they can train balanced muscle memory.

To be successful you have to be dedicated. I used to practice 5-6 hours a day when I was in university. You can spend some of the time learning music as well without doing too much voicing. Also spread it out throughout your day to allow your voice to rest. I usually recommend to practice 30 min to 1 hour a day every day.

10 000 is was poeple generally need to excel in a field. I read that in Outliers :)

Good luck!

Val

oiselle
I usually recommend to practice 30 min to 1 hour a day every day.

Hey val thank you for your reply!!! Do you mean 30 min to 1 hour of vocal exercises and singing or 30 min to 1 hour of vocal exercises???? because I do one hour of vocal exercises and one hour of singing. Of course I do two sessions of vocal exercises because one straight hour can be damaging!!!

oiselle
To be successful you have to be dedicated.

Yes you certainly are right!!! But I AM decicated and very passionated!!! Singing is my only passion and my life.....

It depends how much time you have to practice. 30 min to an hour for exercises is plenty. Then work on your songs. Yu can also break down your songs and work on the difficult passages as part of your warm-up.

Val

oiselle
It depends how much time you have to practice. 30 min to an hour for exercises is plenty. Then work on your songs. Yu can also break down your songs and work on the difficult passages as part of your warm-up.

Val

Okay that means I spend enough time on vocal exercises...time ain´t the problem because I am a pupil and can take my time to train....but for the last few days I have had real vocal problems. As soon as I start to sing I have to clear my throat constantly because I am full of mucus. Yes I know that clearing my throat too often can be really damaging but if I don´t clear my throat I will crack and break on nearly every note. I also felt a decrease of vocal stamina the last days and realized how much of a chest puller I really am. I never realized it because I always cover it up with some pharyngeal..... what can I do to solve those problems, I am quite sure that I am overworked as hell!!! maybe I sing the wrong music. I am a hard rock and heavy metal singer and my biggest influence has been ozzy osbourne, but in the last days I realized that it might be the wrong singer for me because I LOVE to use my vibrato but singing ozzy with vibrato sounds soooo awfull......

Well may be you are practicing too much. Listen to what your body is telling you. If you don't have the correct technique and practice long hours doing the wrong thing than you might be creating damage to your vocal cords as opposed to developing positive vocal habits. I'd be happy to help you with a lesson. We can point out what is going on and help you correct it. Let me know.

Val
valbastien@gmail.com

capehill
Keep it fun and interesting. Variate, try other stuff. Some people exercise "only" by singing phrases of songs and it seems to work for them. Scales, sirens and "formal" exercises are boring but I believe that they can train balanced muscle memory.

alright man thank you! I listened to your advice and variated my RYV workouts, 3 days a week isolation exercises and 3 days a week grid, reinforced falsetto, witches cackle and vibrato!!!