THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question about the first chapter of RYV (breathing and support)

Hello Guys

I just got the book and read the first chapter, it was really interessing, i have vocal classes and still i learned a lot of things from the book

But theres something i didn't get it
Jaime tells us to take a micro breath, and keep that downward pressure, and this is my first question: releasing the air with s sounds give the same body feeling as using this downward pressure?
so if i can get the feeling of releasing with S, i will now how to apply this pressure?

And second and last question (the one I really couldn't figure out), how can I inhale if the air is coming out from me, while i sing the phrases?

Can someone help me? Especially with the second question of air sipping/inhaling.

Thank you

Re: Question about the first chapter of RYV (breathing and support)

Hey bas!
To your first question: Yes by using this exercise and by feeling this sensation you should get an idea of how this technique works BUT be carefull!
Neither you should apply too much downward pressure when singing nor you should apply too little.

http://youtu.be/d-Ro2ao80Lo
Supporting the voice.wmv

This video by vocal coach valerie bastien should help you to get on the right track :)
And don´t forget to expand the rips!!!!

To your second question:
The inhalation sensation is JUST A SENSATION!!!
So you don´t really inhale when you sing because you can´t inhale when exhaling!
Just imagine the following visualisation.
Imagine that you are inhaling your notes and let them flow into your soft pallate. personally it helped me to bend my knees a littel and doing a ronnie james dio or bruce dickinson like position to relax my body and to not concentrate on my posture to much then when you feel relaxed just imagine the notes flow right into you.
I hope that helped because it´s not easy to explain how to feel a visualisation. But try it until you can do it and I personally believe that the inhalation sensation is one of the greatest tools for singing :))

Have fun with singing!
René

@ moshmetalvocalist, Hey René my NAme is Moritz, I am Rock singer and guitarrist from Austria and I think I have heard that you are from Austria too, is that right?? Nice greetings from anthother same minded Austrian. It personly helped me, like Jaime said, imagine to pee to feel a slight locking action in your abdominal and back muscles.And what I found out about the Inahlation sensation is, that its purpouse is to keep your ribs expanded, like when you inhale and still use all the other applicatons your body is using whin inhale( dropped diaphragm ) and last but not at least a mental help. Wish you all much fun and sucsess with singin

Moe

Pretending to inhale was you actually exhale is just a visual that Jaime uses. Don't use it if it doesn't work for you.

The pressure created while hissing on S is about as much pressure as you need most of the time when you sing. It's like blowing a balloon. that is the downward pressure you should feel at its max. Hope that helps!

Val