THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: GIRLY HIGH VOICE

I LOVE Alabama btw! Steve Perry is definately a natural tenor singer. I know a lot of people on this board don't put much stock in vocal classifications, but I think it is important to know, just so you know where you are starting from. I mean if you don't have a low voice, you can only go so low, you probably won't ever sound like Johnny Cash, no matter how much you try. Even if I extend my range to that of a tenor, I'm never going to sound like Steve Perry or Brad Delp. I might hit the notes, but your tonal color is your tonal color. The Ultimate Breathing Workout is great for learning how to breathe and support properly. I wish I had gotten it and mastered it before trying Raise Your Voice.

Don't try it with my wife or we will have a problem. I was just saying that the ladies love those low voices. Barry White anyone? LOL! Just kidding. Maybe you are a tenor. Only you know. Most of those "manly" country singers though are baritones or bass-baritones. Trace Adkins, Randy Travis, Johnny Cash, Alan Jackson, Josh Turner, Keith Whitley, George Strait, Vern Gosdin, Clint Black, Merle Haggard, Jim Reeves, Junior Brown, Kris Kristofferson, Towns Van Zandt, and Waylon Jennings. That is what I think when you say "manly country singer". That is what threw me. I know that every wants to have these amazing high notes, but don't neglect your low end man. I cant even come close to singing like Steve Perry. Man, that would be awesome. I'm not really too worried about it. I sing well and I have a good voice and I sound like me. I'm gradually working to increase my range, but I'm not letting that be my end all be all. I just love to sing. Do you use Jamie's Ultimate Breathing Workout? I just got it three weeks ago and it is really helping me sing much more effortlessly.

You can have a pure head voice, which means no chest at all. And then there is the mix which some refer to. It's more of a higher chest voice. Since you can't always keep the chest activated once you hit the purely head voice notes. And if you keep working at it the mix and head voice will both become stronger. Just remember mix requires chest and head voice does not.
Melanie

hard4metal
Ok so i'm absolutely very very very perfectly pleased with my lower range and mid range. It sounds great, lots of low end, very manly like those country singers.

HOWEVER!

My head voice/higher voice/high range whatever it's called sound wimpy, kiddy, girly, weak you name it but especially kiddy. I know this is true for many people but in my case it is absolutely HORRIBLE!! I'm not happy! I want a manly , full high voice with low end.
So I'm guessing the higher the notes, the more nasal and girly they sound. Does that mean that if I keep increasing my range, the high notes that were once girly will sound fuller and more manly?? Need some motivation here

(BTW NO OFFENSE TO GIRLS )
Do you still sound like a girl?