THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Milk

Hey dude!

I think u shouldn't do screaming like that! Jaime clearly said that alcohol, sweets, juices, coffee and even milk will damage ur cords!Singing after drinking those will damage ur cords surely!!! The difference between milk and alcohol is alcohol will do more damage to ur cords, milk will do less relatively! and Jaime recommend water after drinking those! so i think u shouldn't! yes it will damage ur cords, but sometimes is fine i think, b'coz everybody drinks milk sometimes!

BB, I don't think Jaime said dairy would ever damage the vocal cords. The only problem would be if it causes coughing and clearing the throat. I wouldn't suggest using milk to anyone but if there is no pain, soreness etc afterwards then it should be fine.

Well there really is no discomfort for me when I'm singing with dairy mucus on my cords, so I guess it's fine if I do it once in a while...like I said I don't do it EVERY night, and when I do, it's usually the last 2 or 3 songs in the set (around 10-15 minutes LOL) and BB I don't do screaming I sing rock So I don't do nothing crazy with my voice
I'm pretty sure stuff like alcohol and caffeine will screw your voice because those things dry you out really fast
I've been drinkin milk all my life, sometimes I'm out of water and have a little carton of milk handy, it's always better than singing dry right?

Milk isn't going to damage your vocal cords. In some of us (myself included) it creates too much excess mucus to really be able to sing well.
So, except for half & half in my two cups of coffee in the morning - I stay away from Dairy products. (Which are preceded and immediately followed with about 20 ounces of water)

Tim

Thank you Tim
Yeah the mucus is what gets me gravely
Thanks!

Whatever works for u guys!