THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Extreme Singing IV (Jared Leto-style), When's the planned releasedate?

Well, Most of them, I'd say.

I'm not really after the hardcore screamo singing stuff, but I am after the extra level of energy he puts in when he starts gritting up his voice in his higher registers - it really makes it sound like he's screaming his heart out.

Well, to give a few examples; "lighter" forms of screaming, like he screams out the choruses in From Yesterday and there's also alot more grittier forms in Hurricane, where he screams "Do you really love..? Do you love me?"

If I set my mind into it and get really emo(tional), I can do it, but I'm quite certain that's not the "healthy" way of doing it, so I refrain from doing that until I feel that I can do it with more control.

I hope I could explain what I meant by this :)

Fabes,

II & III are recorded and will be released periodically. IV is in the works, but know that all types of screams are derived in similar manners so the techniques in volume I can help;)

From Yesterday live for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjTpPiXgWRg

I think that around 1:35 he sings with twang distortion to get that pretty intensive sound. Around 3:00 I think he sounds more like fry scream. Amplified sound makes it probably even more impressive...anyway, I might be wrong but this how I hear them.

If you can do those without hurting then maybe you are doing it just correctly :)

Hey Capehill & Jamie,

Thanks for you input :) I'll be sure to look into Volume I for a while then! I also guess that the best way to really learn how to do this stuff is in front of a mic w. the right amount of compression etc. It's pretty hard to try to cover this stuff acoustically :)

I'll try to really work on this for a while, and record something for you to see how it's going.

Thanks again!

Hey Fabes,
Did you manage to get those screams?
I'm talking about the kind like the one at 3:00.
It's the same vibe that some chester bennigton screams, open high windy/white and kind of fry with a clear note...and sometime a bit of false chord blend in for Chester's screams.
If yes, please tell me how you did it!
I'm struggling for a long timenow to go as high with some power, even took lessons with a vocal coach who really teach screaming and corrected placements and breathing issues, but it was more false chord distortion and he just began to teach me some "white distortion", that I finished to developed with Jaime's Extrem screams part 1. Have no more money to move to his city and take more lessons with him..; and he seems to not knowing much about this particular kind of screams.
So... I made huge improvements over this last year, with distortions, placements and passagio, but I'm really in need to reach those screams: they are what I miss to finish my own songs...

It seems like It's a head voice with a clear note (but of what kind? it doesn't seems to be a Jim Gillette like high scream? so what it is?), overlayed by the "windy" kind of scream like in Extrem scream 1...

And just out of curiosity Jaime, are the screams in Extrem scream 1 what lot of screamers name "fry screaming"?

Is it the good way to get it?
I can reach some similar tone but not as much saturate and open, and when I try to close more I end up to adduct completly and produce the kind of high scream from Extrem scream, without a "real" voice in it...

A last thing, I have a kind of parasite peircing high frenquency when i twang to much on high notes, and its not very musical when it appear...It's difficult to make it disappear, any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Last thing, I didn't get hurt and can do different kind of screams without straining... just to give more clues...

Any idea? what's your pattern to reach it?

Thank you a lot!

(ps: i talk too much! sorry!)