THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Double Checking Breath Pressure

So I've been doing Jaime's falsetto slides, transcending tone, and sirens forever... and yes, they have helped me immensely throughout the years. I, however, have hit another "breakthrough with this system, and I recommend this to EVERYONE who is struggling at all with the system.

Do all the exercises that Jaime has in the book but WITH lip bubbles.

But that's not all... not even close.

Put your hand in front of your face and be aware of the air flow that is hitting your hand. For instance, I'll go through the things to watch out for on each exercise.

Falsetto Slide- I get the most results out of the double slide (high-low-high). I start with just an octave (middle c going to c below middle c then back to middle c), and gradually work up chromatically until tenor c. Then I do 2 octave slides until soprano c and I go to 3 octave slides. As you ascend and descend make sure the air hitting the palm of your hand isn't getting any faster or colder as you change pitch. This will ensure the vocal cords are doing the brunt of the work and that the breath pressure is never forceful.

Transcending Tone- As you go from soft to loud then back to soft (or whatever you do) try to keep the breath pressure the same. Try to make your falsetto lip roll as resonant and air free as possible for the smoothest connection between falsetto and full voice.

Full Voice Siren- This is where things get real scary... If you're like me and you do this method for a few weeks on nothing but lip rolls at a constant small air flow, the falsetto slide and the full voice slide will start feeling one and the same more and more everyday. I think this is because the vocal chords are getting smoother and more efficient at changing shape no matter the amount of cord closure. It's like falsetto and full voice truly become, like Jaime says, ONE VOICE

Please, if someone here does all three of these exercises consistently, try this out before your normal routine and tell me if you improve.... I think I'm on to something BIG here.