THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Light Singing

Light singing is useful to get a good foundation in the voice before adding power. With soft exercises you learn to increase your range and even out the bridges and such. In addition to this, it's much more difficult to cause damage to the voice when singing quietly to singing loudly.

I think that's what I've learnt from it anyway!

With song specifics, I agree with you. Phil and I had a conversation not so long ago and the main thing to remember is that every song is different - you may not need to sing a note with as much power in one song, but may need to in the next. By practicing a song lightly, you'll figure out where you need to "push down" for power for etc.

Singing lightly is never a bad thing! You just have to make sure you balance it with heavy singing too! As always, if anyone disagrees, feel free to correct or add / subtract / divide etc

I've been working with using a lot of light singing right now and I am feeling benefits from it. Before I used light singing I had sooo much trouble finding the pitches I should have been singing. My voice is really feeling so much stronger now. Light singing is a great tool.

Yo thanks Harris and Melanie Im definitely going to practice some Gene Simmons songs with this

light singing is THE SECRET if there is indeed any secrets. Your light voice should be free of any cracks or flips before you think about adding power. the more light singing you do the more it will improve your full power singing. do not underestimate the power of light singing. after hours and hours of practice your light singing will become stronger. and slowly the light singing will get stronger to the point that it merges with your full singing. volume swelling exercises like transcending tone also work great for this type of thing

I think that people should never undervalue light singing as an artist choice at times too. Some of my favourite singers (Jeff Buckley, Daniel Gildenlow, Freddie Mercury, Tom Englund and Daniel Johns etc.) all use their very soft end of their voice and it makes the big parts of the voice sound bigger too. It's also easier to connect to some words when they're sung at a softer dynamic. I often hear singers sing a melancholic line in a loud and clean dynamic and it does nothing to encapsulate the singer.

I guess what I am saying is to use it when it's called for and not just for practice. :)

Right on Phil and Doug thanks for the info. I'm definitely gonna incorporate light singing a lot more in practice and regular singing!

Yesterday I finally mastered the Falsetto Slides from C to E and C to Ab, thanks to light singing I guess! It's not much ofcourse but I finally get no cracks/breaks no more, I'm makin progress

BE HAPPY WITH EVEN LITTLE PROGRESS!!!

Dam this book is amazing I'm gonna recommend it wherever I go

Good point Doug, if you're always singing on a 10/10 in power then you're maxed out and can't dynamically increase it.

If it goes up to 11 you can turn it up to get that little extra push over the cliff!

These ones go to 11.

hahah! I guess that is what RYV is for, turning it up to 11! :)

Why can't we just make 10 louder and that be the highest number?