THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How do you differ 'stop pushing' vs 'no support'?

Hey guys,

how do you differ 'stop pushing' and 'no support'.
You know, I'm used to pushing to hit higher notes, and if I try not to push, I can't produce the tone, because then my support is pretty low, it's like singing light without support.

But some people say: you want to stop pushing, but that doesn't mean you want to stop supporting the note.

Now, I'm asking you : how do you support the note without pushing, cause every time I try to support the tone (and I know how to support it from diaphragm, I'm good on breathing and support) I find that I'm pushing. If I concentrate on stopping to push, then my support also stops alltogether. So to me: pushing comes with support, and support comes with pushing. If I don't push/support, then all I can get for higher notes is tiny falsetto.
So how do you stop pushing and still support notes?

Tnx ;)
Nikola

Re: How do you differ 'stop pushing' vs 'no support'?

If you can make the sound without pain, you are supporting correctly.

Pushing is an entirely different thing. Pushing, when it doesn't hurt, is like "gain" on a guitar. YOu use it to get more POWER. But you shouldn't HAVE to do this to hit notes. If you do not push, you should still be able to hit notes, just at a softer tone.

this is why you need to work your light singing. Work on your non-breathy pure falsetto tone, let your voice go where it wants, let it bridge from chest to head wherever it wants to, don't fight it. Do volume swelling, soon your light voice will meet in the middle with your pushed voice and you'll be able to decide "do i want to push to get a harder, more powerful note, or do i want a softer, more free note?"

think about what sounds you want to make. if you want real heavy, high powered sounds, then yes you will be doing some push to get it, and maybe even a lot. as you get better you will be able to produce the sounds with less push but with the same power. this is gaining control of a note. if you require softer tones, then you must reduce this push, and if you want even softer, eliminate the push altogether. but remember, if you can hit notes without pain, then you are supporting correclty.

Hey Nikola,

it might be, that you are tightening your jaw, neck or tongue
to get hold of the note, which might be, what 'they' call pushing.
You want your vocal cords to grab your every note.

So try whatever exercise from this book
and as you raise your pitch, move your tongue,
nod or shake your head slowly and move your jaw.

No big movements, just to check, that these muscles are out of the game.

Hope that helps you,
as for me, I experience..

..well, try it yourself and then let us write again :-)

What Phil said above is on money.

Good to see you back here Doug. For everyone who doesn't know, Doug is a fantastic singer with fantastic progressive metal music. check out his band HEMINA on myspace http://www.myspace.com/heminaaus

Doug has been at the RYV method for over 4 years and is the best example of what CONSISTENT FOCUSED TRAINING will produce.

My band's album will be out in the next two months which will be a much better indication of my vocals as that whole EP of material was recorded in 1 day vocally and there was a hell of a lot to do in that one day :)

Thanks for the nice words :)

cool man, i'll be sure to get it.