THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Getting into headvoice

you've been doing this for only a month and a half. don't start changing your program because thats the reason why people stop getting results. skill development is based on repeated exercises done over a consistent amount of time.

stick with the exercises:
- falsetto slide
- transcending tone
- ee scream
- siren
- SINGING

you stated that you have already seen results. results come in little increments each month. stick with your program.

i'll give you an analogy:

most weightlifters believe they "plateu" on a training routine after about 4-6 weeks, so they change their training routine, and start getting results again. here's the problem: they never actually get STRONGER. what happens is, it takes your nervous system about 4-6 weeks to "warm into" the weightlifting. so the strength gains you get in the first month and a bit aren't actually TRUE MUSCLE gains, they are PRACTICE/WARMUP gains of your nervous system. the true muscle gains come AFTER this 4-6 week period, results slow down and come in small increments, but most people think its a PLATEAU so they SWITCH PROGRAMs, then they have to undergo this "warmup" once again for 4-6 weeks! What happens is in one years time, they are still lifting the same weight they were a year ago!

stick to your program for 2 more months and see if your voice is better or not.

Lip bubble exercise is difficult for some and I'm one of them. You could try tongue roll instead of. Or support your cheeks with fingers to check if that help with lip bubbles.

Did you try twang (NG, focus on G) siren?

Check also this page: http://www.youtube.com/user/vocalpoweruk

I meant that it was the getting to the pitches which I have trouble with...i've been doing lip bubbles for a while...

n yeah i've been trying some of those NG sirens too...they're pretty good too...i can tell that the resonance is somewhere else when I do it...n thanks for the link capehill

I personally found the biggest challenge in trying to access head voice to be imagining what my voice would sound like in that register to know what to aim for. Private lessons would help that part greatly, I bet.

Hey Alkis, yeah lately i've been just trying to push my voice to higher pitches but you're right..i can't really imagine what it would sound like...so i'm just not sure whether its head voice or falsetto i'm doing...its difficult for me to tell

Even though falsetto and head voice are vague concepts, it's often said that falsetto is not connected. So when you are in high voice, try to slide down and check how connected you are to your chest voice. Some teachers talk about "one voice" which I have interpreted as having the same tonality over the range.