THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Transcending Tone

hey everyone, i got this book pretty recently and i'm trying out Jaime's 7 week challenege and right now i'm on the 3rd week where I should be practicing transcending tone exercises and I have no idea how to go about it. I listened to the audio clip and whenever i try i just feel like my voice cracks awkwardly and I don't want to practice bad technique and ruin my voice for the future so can someone on the forum please help me out?

Re: Transcending Tone

Hey..
Read through it again.
Jaime stated that if you start sounding awkward or hear breaks in the transition, to then do it slowly at that point until you get a hold of it.

hey josh, i've tried, but i just feel completely stuck at this point with the exercise

i know people who have been doing this for years and it is still a hard exercise. you've only been doing it for 3 weeks.

keep doing the exercise, the fact you are trying to do the exercise will yield results. the transcending tone exercise will give you fantastic benefits as a singer. the end result is that you can sing songs softly, hard, or in between. pop and rnb is usually in this hard to get "in between" and metal and rock are more hard.

just because you cannot do the END RESULT doesn't mean you aren't getting results. make sure you dont' skip the exercise because it isn't encouraging. keep doing it. work on the easiest note you can do. eventually you can add one more, and then two, and then three. also, start doing these:

eeee screams:

sing a "EEEEE" on a note in very light falsetto, then swell the volume but stay in falsetto. this is like an easier version of transcending tone. it helps you on notes that you cannot do properly in transcending tone. do this AS WELL as transcending tone, NOT in place of it.

I have noticed that TT needs a good (full voice) warmup, otherwise it breaks very easily for me in H3-F#4 area. I rarely get it working at the first attempt.

Regarding messa di voce training I have read that it may be a good idea to start with some "edge" in the voice, in other word, not with the softest possible sound you can make. This may be against what Jaime tells. Experiment. You won't ruin your voice if it doesn't hurt.